Estimation of Armington Elasticities: An Application to the Philippines
The elasticities of substitution between imported and domestically produced goods - Armington elasticities - are estimated in this paper for the Philippines. The estimated elasticities are intended for use in a large, empirically based computable general equilibrium model of the Philippine economy. Armington elasticities are known to be important for the properties of these models but are seldom estimated empirically. The results of this paper suggest that estimation is possible for developing countries, like the Philippines, for which economic data are generally considered poor, provided appropriate account is taken of the dynamic properties of the data.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Khan, Mohsm S. & Ross, Knud Z., 1977. "The functional form of the aggregate import demand equation," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 149-160, May.
- Chris M. Alaouze & John S. Marsden & John Zeitsch, 1977. "Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution Between Imported and Domestically Produced Commodities at the Four Digit ASIC Level," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers o-11, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Sargan, John Denis & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Testing Residuals from Least Squares Regression for Being Generated by the Gaussian Random Walk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 153-74, January.
- Boylan, T. A. & Cuddy, M. P. & O'Muircheartaigh, I., 1980. "The functional form of the aggregate import demand equation : A comparison of three European economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 561-566, November.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Reinert, Kenneth A. & Roland-Holst, David W., 1992. "Armington elasticities for United States manufacturing sectors," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 631-639, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:papers:1996-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Zec)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.