Estimates of the Elasticity of Substitution Between Imported and Domestically Produced Commodities at the Four Digit ASIC Level
This paper contains estimates made in 1977 of the elasticity of substitution between domestically produced and imported commodities at the four digit level of the Australian ASIC commodity classification then in use. The data upon which the estimates were based included series specially constructed for the Industries Assistance Commission from customs clearance records covering the period 1968-69 through 1974-75. Because this period contained a substantial movement in the real exchange rate for the Australian dollar, relatively large movements occur in the relative prices in Australia of the domestically produced and the competing imported commodities. Thus the sample period and data augured well for the estimation of Armington substitution elasticities, which was relatively successful. Note, however, that the data were not rich enough to obtain separate estimates for different sources of imports, nor for different intermediate and final uses of the commodities. The estimates served well, however, in the implementation of the ORANI model used in debate and policy formation in Australia during the 1980s. The four-digit ASIC data base used in this study was published in 1985 as Chris M. Alaouze (1985), "The Impact Trade Flow Data Base", Impact Project Working Paper No. I-24, Melbourne. This paper will be available on this web site in the reasonably near future. This data base also includes pressure of demand series for eight industry groups. These were included as regressors and found significant in the equations used to estimate the Armington elasticities for several commodities. (This abstract written in 2004 by Chris Alaouze and Alan Powell)
|Date of creation:||Jul 1977|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 14428, Melbourne, Victoria, 8001|
Phone: 03 9919 1877
Web page: http://www.copsmodels.com/about.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Powell, Alan A. & Gruen, Fred H.G., 1967.
"The Estimation Of Production Frontiers: The Australian Livestock/Cereals Complex,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 11(01), June.
- Alan A. Powell & Fred H.G. Gruen, 1967. "The Estimation Of Production Frontiers: The Australian Livestock/Cereals Complex," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 11(1), pages 63-81, 06.
- Chris M. Alaouze, 1976. "Estimation of the elasticity of substitution between imported and domestically produced intermediate inputs," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers op-07, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Gregory, R G, 1971. "United States Imports and Internal Pressure of Demand: 1948-68," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 28-47, March.
- Wallis, Kenneth F, 1972. "Testing for Fourth Order Autocorrelation in Qtrly Regression Equations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 617-36, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cop:wpaper:o-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Horridge)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.