On Ageing, Health and Poverty in Rural India
In this paper, the trend and determinants of health and poverty among the elderly in rural India is analysed. Two rounds of National Sample Survey (NSS) data for the year 1995-96 and 2004 are employed. The analysis has been done with independent and pooled datasets. Our analysis shows that levels of consumption poverty have declined marginally between 1995-96 and 2004 while increased proportion of elderly with poor health status is continued. Results suggest that poverty is one of the key determinants of health among elderly in rural India.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 2601|
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/asarc/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreze, Jean & Srinivasan, P. V., 1997. "Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 217-234, December.
- Jalan, Jyotsna & Ravallion, Martin, 2001.
"Household income dynamics in rural China,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2706, The World Bank.
- Sarmistha Pal & Robert Palacios, 2011.
"Understanding Poverty among the Elderly in India: Implications for Social Pension Policy,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(7), pages 1017-1037.
- Pal, Sarmistha & Palacios, Robert, 2008. "Understanding Poverty among the Elderly in India: Implications for Social Pension Policy," IZA Discussion Papers 3431, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Grossman, Michael, 2000. "The human capital model," Handbook of Health Economics, in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 7, pages 347-408 Elsevier.
- Gerdtham, U. -G. & Johannesson, M. & Lundberg, L. & Isacson, D., 1999. "The demand for health: results from new measures of health capital," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 501-521, September.
- Raghav Gaiha & Katsushi Imai, 2004.
"Vulnerability, shocks and persistence of poverty: estimates for semi-arid rural South India,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 261-281.
- Imai, Katsushi & Raghav Gaiha, 2003. "Vulnerability, Shocks and Persistence of Poverty - Estimates for Semi-Arid Rural South India," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 111, Royal Economic Society.
- Katsushi Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2002. "Vulnerability, Shocks and Persistence of Poverty - Estimates for Semi-Arid Rural South India," Economics Series Working Papers 128, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Anne Case & Angus S. Deaton, 2005.
"Broken Down by Work and Sex: How Our Health Declines,"
in: Analyses in the Economics of Aging, pages 185-212
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Case & Angus Deaton, 2004. "Broken down by work and sex: how our health declines," Working Papers 257, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Center for Health and Wellbeing..
- Anne C. Case & Angus Deaton, 2003. "Broken Down by Work and Sex: How Our Health Declines," NBER Working Papers 9821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Blundell & Ian Preston, 1995. "Income, expenditure and the living standards of UK households," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 40-54, August.
- Ettner, Susan L., 1996. "New evidence on the relationship between income and health," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 67-85, February.
- Grossman, Michael, 1972. "On the Concept of Health Capital and the Demand for Health," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(2), pages 223-55, March-Apr.
- Angus S. Deaton & Christina Paxson, 1998.
"Measuring Poverty among the Elderly,"
in: Inquiries in the Economics of Aging, pages 169-204
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pandey, Manoj K., 2009. "Poverty and disability among elderly in India: evidences from household survey," MPRA Paper 15580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pas:asarcc:2009-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Raghbendra Jha)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.