Poverty, inequality, and social policies in Peru: As poor as it gets
"This paper analyzes trends in poverty, income inequality and social policies in Peru in the last twenty years. Our objective is to explain what lies behind the generalized perception and complain by Peruvians that welfare and living standards have not got any better in at least two generations. We find problems in several fronts: lower expenditure than the average in the region, which could explain restrictions in coverage and quality of services, but also problems related to targeting, delivery of services, and overlapping, and deficient design and choice of effective programs. We also discuss why is that social policies have failed to deliver crucial assets for short, and specially, long term poverty and inequality alleviation in Peru, and present some guidelines to improve social policy design and implementation in Peru given past lessons, with special emphasis on the Millennium Development Goals (MDG) framework as a tool for policy planning, design, and costing."
|Date of creation:||Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.up.edu.pe/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, S K & Maddala, G S, 1976. "A Function for Size Distribution of Incomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 963-970, September.
- Sen, Amartya, 1973. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198281931.
- Gustavo Yamada, 2006. "Retornos a la educación superior en el mercado laboral: ¿Vale la pena el esfuerzo?," Working Papers 06-13, Centro de InvestigaciÃ³n, Universidad del PacÃfico, revised Dec 2006.
- David Stifel & Harold Alderman, 2006.
"The "Glass of Milk" Subsidy Program and Malnutrition in Peru,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 20(3), pages 421-448.
- Stifel, David*Alderman, Harold, 2003. "The"Glass of Milk"subsidy program and malnutrition in Peru," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3089, The World Bank.
- Anton Korinek & Johan Mistiaen & Martin Ravallion, 2006. "Survey nonresponse and the distribution of income," The Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer;Society for the Study of Economic Inequality, vol. 4(1), pages 33-55, April.
- Korinek, Anton & Mistiaen, Johan A. & Ravallion, Martin, 2005. "Survey nonresponse and the distribution of income," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3543, The World Bank.
- Juan Castro & Gustavo Yamada, 2006. "Evaluación de estrategias de desarrollo para alcanzar los Objetivos del Milenio en América Latina," Working Papers 06-11, Centro de InvestigaciÃ³n, Universidad del PacÃfico, revised Nov 2006.
- Santiago Cueto & Marjorie Chinen, 2001. "Impacto educativo de un programa de desayunos escolares en escuelas rurales del Perú," Documentos de Investigación dt34, Grupo de Análisis para el Desarrollo (GRADE).
- Juan Castro, 2006. "Política fiscal y gasto social en el Perú: Cuánto se ha avanzado y qué más se puede hacer para reducir la vulnerabilidad de los hogares," Working Papers 06-05, Centro de InvestigaciÃ³n, Universidad del PacÃfico, revised Jul 2006. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)