Educational attainment, growth and poverty reduction within the MDG framework: simulations and costing for the Peruvian case
We propose a model that accounts for the feedback between access to educational services, human capital accumulation and long-run GDP growth. With this framework, it is possible to simultaneously assess the achievement of Millennium Development Goal (MDG) education targets in terms of their impact on aggregate income growth and poverty incidence. We simulate our model using Peruvian data and different planner preferences regarding access to distinct education cycles. Results reveal that to attain a significant impact on GDP growth and poverty reduction, Peru needs to extend the original set of MDG indicators to account for access to higher education levels besides primary.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GPRE19|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Gustavo Yamada & Juan Castro, 2007. "Poverty, inequality, and social policies in Peru: As poor as it gets," Working Papers 07-06, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Feb 2007.
- Francois Bourguignon & Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Nora Lustig, 2005. "The Microeconomics of Income Distribution Dynamics in East Asia and Latin America," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14844, August.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000.
"International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications,"
CID Working Papers
42, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2001. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 541-63, July.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000. "International Data on Educational Attainment Updates and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gustavo Yamada, 2006. "Retornos a la educación superior en el mercado laboral: ¿Vale la pena el esfuerzo?," Working Papers 06-13, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Dec 2006.
- Juan Castro & Gustavo Yamada, 2006. "Evaluación de estrategias de desarrollo para alcanzar los Objetivos del Milenio en América Latina," Working Papers 06-11, Departamento de Economía, Universidad del Pacífico, revised Nov 2006.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jpolrf:v:12:y:2009:i:1:p:57-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.