Unemployment and Workplace Safety in a Search and Matching Model
Are recessions really good for workplace safety? This paper develops a model with search to consider the determinants of workplace safety and then investigates the relationship between unemployment and the incidence of work-related injury. There is a view following Arai and Thoursie (2005), Ruhm (2000) and Boone and van Ours (2006) that the rate of work-related injury is procyclical. However, data from several countries do not necessarily support this view. This paper considers an alternative approach to support the countercyclical variation in the rate of work- related injury in which the firm bargains about the optimal input for workplace safety.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/library/global/e_HP/e_g_shiryo.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan B. Krueger, 1989.
"Incentive Effects of Workers' Compensation Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
3089, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B., 1990. "Incentive effects of workers' compensation insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 73-99, February.
- Barmby, Tim & Sessions, John G & Treble, John G, 1994. " Absenteeism, Efficiency Wages and Shirking," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(4), pages 561-66.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Mortensen, Dale & Pissarides, Christopher, 2011. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Economic Policy, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, vol. 1, pages 19 pages.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Wayne B. Gray & John M. Mendeloff, 2005. "The Declining Effects of Osha Inspections on Manufacturing Injuries, 1979â€“1998," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 58(4), pages 571-587, July.
- Arai, Mahmood & Skogman Thoursie, Peter, 2001.
"Incentives and Selection in Cyclical Absenteeism,"
Working Paper Series
167, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Garibaldi, Pietro & Wasmer, Etienne, 2001. "Labor Market Flows and Equilibrium Search Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 406, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Boone, J. & van Ours, J.C., 2006.
"Are recessions good for workplace safety?,"
Other publications TiSEM
1bf0f677-8071-4434-982c-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Engström, Per & Holmlund, Bertil, 2005.
"Worker Absenteeism in Search Equilibrium,"
Working Paper Series
2005:22, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Scholz, John T & Gray, Wayne B, 1990. "OSHA Enforcement and Workplace Injuries: A Behavioral Approach to Risk Assessment," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 283-305, September.
- Bruce D. Meyer & W. Kip Viscusi & David L. Durbin, 1990.
"Workers' Compensation and Injury Duration: Evidence from a Natural Experiment,"
NBER Working Papers
3494, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meyer, Bruce D & Viscusi, W Kip & Durbin, David L, 1995. "Workers' Compensation and Injury Duration: Evidence from a Natural Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 322-40, June.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg, 1985. "Workers' Compensation, Wages, and the Risk of Injury," NBER Working Papers 1538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 2000.
"Are Recessions Good for Your Health?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(2), pages 617-650.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:1014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.