Measuring Education Levels of Farmers: Evidence from Innovation Adoption in Bangladesh
Education levels of farmers have been measured in a variety of ways in preceding studies. In order to examine whether or not different measures of education have different effects on the behavior of farmers, I first summarize the measures of education and then perform an empirical analysis. Although education measures examined in this paper have been used in many studies, their effects are shown to differ significantly in my empirical analysis: some variables have positive impacts on farmer fs behavior while others do not. This result suggests we have to pay more attention to selecting measures of education in empirical investigations.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/library/global/e_HP/e_g_shiryo.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lisa A. Cameron, 1999. "The Importance of Learning in the Adoption of High-Yielding Variety Seeds," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 83-94.
- Jolliffe, Dean, 1997. "Whose education matters in the determination of household income," FCND discussion papers 39, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- John Knight & Sharada Weir & Tassew Woldehanna, 2003. "The role of education in facilitating risk-taking and innovation in agriculture," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(6), pages 1-22.
- Basu, Kaushik & Narayan, Ambar & Ravallion, Martin, 2001. "Is literacy shared within households? Theory and evidence for Bangladesh," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 649-665, December.
- Welch, F, 1970. "Education in Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 35-59, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:04-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.