Revisiting the tax compliance problem using prospect theory
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Brian Erard & Chih-Chin Ho, 1999. "Searching for Ghosts: Who Are the Nonfilers nd How Much Tax Do They Owe?," Carleton Economic Papers 99-11, Carleton University, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2001.
- Myles, Gareth D. & Naylor, Robin A., 1996. "A model of tax evasion with group conformity and social customs," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 49-66, April.
- Pickhardt, Michael & Seibold, Goetz, 2014.
"Income tax evasion dynamics: Evidence from an agent-based econophysics model,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 147-160.
- Michael Pickhardt & Goetz Seibold, "undated". "Income Tax Evasion Dynamics: Evidence from an Agent-based Econophysics Model," Working Papers 201179, Institute of Spatial and Housing Economics, Munster Universitary.
- Pickhardt, Michael & Seibold, Goetz, 2011. "Income tax evasion dynamics: Evidence from an agent-based econophysics model," CAWM Discussion Papers 53, University of Münster, Center of Applied Economic Research Münster (CAWM).
- Michael Pickhardt & Goetz Seibold, 2011. "Income Tax Evasion Dynamics: Evidence from an Agent-based Econophysics Model," Papers 1112.0233, arXiv.org.
- Bordignon, Massimo, 1993. "A fairness approach to income tax evasion," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 345-362, October.
- Arthur Snow & Ronald S. Warren, 2005. "Ambiguity about Audit Probability, Tax Compliance, and Taxpayer Welfare," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 43(4), pages 865-871, October.
- Georg Zaklan & Frank Westerhoff & Dietrich Stauffer, 2009.
"Analysing tax evasion dynamics via the Ising model,"
Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination,
Springer;Society for Economic Science with Heterogeneous Interacting Agents, vol. 4(1), pages 1-14, June.
- Georg Zaklan & Frank Westerhoff & Dietrich Stauffer, 2008. "Analysing tax evasion dynamics via the Ising model," Papers 0801.2980, arXiv.org.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1992.
"Understanding welfare stigma: Taxpayer resentment and statistical discrimination,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 165-183, July.
- Besley, T. & Coate, S., 1990. "Understanding Welfare Stigma: Taxpayer Resentment And Statistical Discrimination," Papers 42, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Amedeo Piolatto & Matthew D. Rablen, 2017.
"Prospect theory and tax evasion: a reconsideration of the Yitzhaki puzzle,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 543-565, April.
- Amedeo Piolatto & Matthew D. Rablen, 2013. "Prospect theory and tax evasion: a reconsideration of the Yitzhaki Puzzle," IFS Working Papers W13/25, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Piolatto, Amedeo & Rablen, Matthew D., 2013. "Prospect Theory and Tax Evasion: A Reconsideration of the Yitzhaki Puzzle," IZA Discussion Papers 7760, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Amedeo Piolatto & Matthew D. Rablen, 2014. "Prospect theory and tax evasion: a reconsideration of the Yitzhaki puzzle," Working Papers 2014/3, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Gwenola Trotin, 2012. "Solving the Yitzhaki Paradox: Income Tax Evasion and Reference Dependence under Prospect Theory," Working Papers halshs-00793664, HAL.
- Erard, Brian & Ho, Chih-Chin, 2001. "Searching for ghosts: who are the nonfilers and how much tax do they owe?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 25-50, July.
- Radhika Pandey & Gurnain Pasricha & Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2015.
"Motivations for Capital Controls and Their Effectiveness,"
Staff Working Papers
15-5, Bank of Canada.
- Pandey, Radhika & Pasricha, Gurnain K. & Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2016. "Motivations for capital controls and their effectiveness," Working Papers 16/168, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Henrik Jacobsen Kleven & Martin B. Knudsen & Claus Thustrup Kreiner & Søren Pedersen & Emmanuel Saez, 2011. "Unwilling or Unable to Cheat? Evidence From a Tax Audit Experiment in Denmark," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(3), pages 651-692, May.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-291, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Allingham, Michael G. & Sandmo, Agnar, 1972. "Income tax evasion: a theoretical analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 323-338, November.
- Drazen Prelec, 1998. "The Probability Weighting Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 497-528, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tandon, Suranjali & Rao, R. Kavita, 2017. "Trade Misinvoicing: What can we Measure?," Working Papers 17/200, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Tandon, Suranjali & Rao, R. Kavita, 2017. "Tax Compliance in India: An Experimental Approach," Working Papers 17/207, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
More about this item
Keywordsprospect theory ; compliance ; tax ; exemption threshold ; crossover income;
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion and Avoidance
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2016-04-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2016-04-30 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-IUE-2016-04-30 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-LAW-2016-04-30 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2016-04-30 (Public Finance)
- NEP-UPT-2016-04-30 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:npf:wpaper:16/169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (S.Siva Chidambaram). General contact details of provider: http://www.nipfp.org.in .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.