Tax Policy and Firm Entry and Exit Dynamics: Evidence from OECD Countries
In this paper we study the effects of reforms to corporate and personal income taxation on the rate of firm entry and exit using industry data for 19 OECD countries from 1998 to 2005. Using a difference-in-differences approach to correct for endogeneity bias we find that increases in corporate taxation affect entry but not exit. The effects of personal taxation depend upon the marginal tax rate that is altered. Increases in marginal tax rates applied at low income levels negatively affect entry and positively affect exit, whereas marginal tax reforms at higher income levels have the opposite effect.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (44) 0115 951 5620
Fax: (0115) 951 4159
Web page: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gurley–Calvez, Tami & Bruce, Donald, 2008. "Do Tax Cuts Promote Entrepreneurial Longevity?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 61(2), pages 225-50, June.
- Marco Da Rin & Marina Di Giacomo & Alessandro Sembenelli, 2010.
"Corporate Taxation and the Size of New Firms: Evidence from Europe,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 8(2-3), pages 606-616, 04-05.
- Da Rin, M. & Di Giacomo, M. & Sembenelli, A., 2009. "Corporate Taxation and the Size of New Firms : Evidence From Europe," Discussion Paper 2009-72, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Da Rin, M. & Di Giacomo, M. & Sembenelli, A., 2010. "Corporate taxation and the size of new firms : Evidence from Europe," Other publications TiSEM 220989f9-77d5-4904-9a90-3, School of Economics and Management.
- Michael Woodford, 2010.
"Optimal Monetary Stabilization Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
16095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edvard Johansson, 2005. "An estimate of self-employment income underreporting in Finland," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 31, pages 99-109.
- Aghion, Philippe & Howitt, Peter, 1992. "A Model of Growth Through Creative Destruction," Scholarly Articles 12490578, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:20042 is not listed on IDEAS
- William M. Gentry & R. Glenn Hubbard, 2002.
"The Effects of Progressive Income Taxation on Job Turnover,"
NBER Working Papers
9226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gentry, William M. & Hubbard, R. Glenn, 2004. "The effects of progressive income taxation on job turnover," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(11), pages 2301-2322, September.
- Robert Carroll & Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Mark Rider & Harvey S. Rosen, 1998. "Entrepreneurs, Income Taxes, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 6374, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Apel,M., 1994. "An Expenditure-Based Estimate of Tax Evasion in Sweden," Papers 1, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Disney, Richard F & Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 2000.
"Restructuring And Productivity Growth In UK Manufacturing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Disney & Jonathan Haskel & Ylva Heden, 2003. "Restructuring and productivity growth in uk manufacturing," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 666-694, 07.
- Rmalho, Rita & Ganser, Tim Christian & Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Djankov, Simeon, 2010.
"The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship,"
8705900, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 31-64, July.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2008. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," NBER Working Papers 13756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3607199 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elie Appelbaum & Eliakim Katz, 1996.
"Corporate taxation, incumbency advantage and entry,"
1996_12, York University, Department of Economics.
- Appelbaum, Elie & Katz, Eliakim, 1996. "Corporate taxation, incumbency advantage and entry," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1817-1828, December.
- Da Rin, Marco & Di Giacomo, Marina & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, firm entry, and the taxation of corporate income: Evidence from Europe,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1048-1066, October.
- Da Rin, Marco & Di Giacomo, Marina & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, firm entry, and the taxation of corporate income: Evidence from Europe," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1048-1066.
- R. Glenn Hubbard & William M. Gentry, 2000. "Tax Policy and Entrepreneurial Entry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 283-287, May.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Dennis Fok & Andrew Burke, 2009. "The Dynamics of Entry and Exit," Scales Research Reports H200907, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Herb J. Schuetze, 2002. "Profiles of Tax Non-compliance Among the Self-Employed in Canada: 1969 to 1992," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 28(2), pages 219-237, June.
- Donald Bruce & Mohammed Mohsin, 2006. "Tax Policy and Entrepreneurship: New Time Series Evidence," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(5), pages 409-425, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:not:notecp:12/01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.