Corporate taxation, incumbency advantage and entry
It is the purpose of this paper to show that corporation tax may affect industrial structure. Analyzing the effects of corporation tax, we demonstrate that it tends to favour incumbents over entrants. We further show that the effect of this advantage on an incumbent's output depends on his profit or loss history. An incumbent with a past profit is likely to produce a greater output, thereby partially or fully crowding out an entrant's output. In contrast, an incumbent with a past loss is more likely to produce a smaller output, making entry easier.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (416) 736-5083
Fax: (416) 736-5987
Web page: http://dept.econ.yorku.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1983.
"The Dynamic Effects of Tax Law Asymmetries,"
NBER Working Papers
1152, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence W, 1985. "General Equilibrium Tax Incidence under Imperfect Competition: A Quantity-setting Supergame Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1212-23, December.
- Cooper, Ian & Franks, Julian R, 1983. " The Interaction of Financing and Investment Decisions When the Firm Has Unused Tax Credits," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(2), pages 571-83, May.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- E. Appelbaum & E. Katz, 1987. "Asymmetric Taxation and the Theory of the Competitive Firm under Uncertainty," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 357-69, May.
- Richard Kneller & Danny McGowan, 2012.
"Tax Policy and Firm Entry and Exit Dynamics: Evidence from OECD Countries,"
12006, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Ricjard Kneller & Danny McGowan, . "Tax Policy and Firm Entry and Exit Dynamics: Evidence from OECD Countries," Discussion Papers 12/01, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Richard Kneller & Danny McGowan, . "Tax Policy and Firm Entry and Exit Dynamics: Evidence from OECD Countries," Discussion Papers 11/08, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Michel Poitevin, 1998. "Effects of the Fiscal Treatment of Tax Losses on the Efficiency of Markets and the Incidence of Mergers," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-33, CIRANO.
- Da Rin, Marco & Di Giacomo, Marina & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, firm entry, and the taxation of corporate income: Evidence from Europe,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1048-1066, October.
- Da Rin, Marco & Di Giacomo, Marina & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2011. "Entrepreneurship, firm entry, and the taxation of corporate income: Evidence from Europe," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1048-1066.
- Jakopin, Nejc M. & Klein, Andreas, 2012. "First-mover and incumbency advantages in mobile telecommunications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 362-370.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200865 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yca:wpaper:1996_12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Support)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.