Output Spillovers from Fiscal Policy
In this paper, we estimate the cross-country spillover effects of government purchases on output for a large number of OECD countries. Following the methodology in Auerbach and Gorodnichenko (2012a, b), we allow these multipliers to vary smoothly according to the state of the economy and use real-time forecast data to purge policy innovations of their predictable components. We also consider the responses of other key macroeconomic variables. Our findings suggest that cross-country spillovers have an important impact, and also confirm those of our earlier papers that fiscal shocks have a larger impact when the affected country is in recession.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2013. "Output Spillovers from Fiscal Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(3), pages 141-46, May.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2010.
"Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
16311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2011.
"Exchange Rate Regimes in the Modern Era : Fixed, Floating, and Flaky,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(3), pages 652-72, September.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2010. "Exchange Rate Regimes in the Modern Era: Fixed, Floating, and Flaky," CEPR Discussion Papers 7987, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2012.
"Fiscal Multipliers in Recession and Expansion,"
in: Fiscal Policy after the Financial Crisis, pages 63-98
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & André Meier & Gernot J. Müller, 2010.
"Cross-Border Spillovers from Fiscal Stimulus,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 6(1), pages 5-37, March.
- Shafik Hebous & Tom Zimmermann, 2012.
"Estimating the Effects of Coordinated Fiscal Actions in the Euro Area,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3912, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hebous, Shafik & Zimmermann, Tom, 2013. "Estimating the effects of coordinated fiscal actions in the euro area," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 110-121.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Jacopo Cimadomo, 2006. "Changing Patterns of Domestic and Cross-Border Fiscal Policy Multipliers in Europe and the US," Working Papers 2006-24, CEPII research center.
- Robert E. Hall, 2009.
"By How Much Does GDP Rise if the Government Buys More Output?,"
NBER Working Papers
15496, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall, 2009. "By How Much Does GDP Rise If the Government Buys More Output?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 40(2 (Fall)), pages 183-249.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:18578. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.