International Risk Sharing in the Short Run and in the Long Run
International risk-sharing has far-reaching implications both for economic policy and for basic research in economics. When countries do not share risk, individuals in those countries experience fluctuations in their consumption levels that are undesirable and possibly unnecessary. This paper extends and refines the study of international risk-sharing in two dimensions. First, this paper investigates risk-sharing at short vs. long horizons. Countries might, for example, pool risks associated with high-frequency shocks (e.g., seasonal fluctuations in crop yields) but might not share risks associated with low frequency shocks (e.g., different long-run national growth rates). Second, this paper studies bilateral risk-sharing, which is different from the approach taken in most previous studies. We find that there is evidence of substantial international risk-sharing at medium and low frequencies. There is evidence of high and increasing risk-sharing within Europe that is not apparent for other regions of the world.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Publication status:||published as Marianne Baxter, 2012. "International risk-sharing in the short run and in the long run," Canadian Journal of Economics/Revue canadienne d'économique, vol 45(2), pages 376-393.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canova, Fabio & Ravn, Morten O, 1996.
"International Consumption Risk Sharing,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(3), pages 573-601, August.
- Fabio Canova & Morten O. Ravn, 1993. "International consumption risk sharing," Economics Working Papers 135, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 1995.
- Canova, Fabio & Ravn, Morten O, 1994. "International Consumption Risk Sharing," CEPR Discussion Papers 1074, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert P. Flood & Nancy P. Marion & Akito Matsumoto, 2012. "International risk sharing during the globalization era," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(2), pages 394-416, May.
- Akito Matsumoto & Robert P Flood & Nancy P. Marion, 2009. "International Risk Sharing During the Globalization Era," IMF Working Papers 09/209, .