Using data compiled from concentrated residential urban revitalization programs implemented in Richmond, VA, between 1999 and 2004, we study residential externalities. Specifically, we provide evidence that in neighborhoods targeted by the programs, sites that did not directly benefit from capital improvements nevertheless experienced considerable increases in land value relative to similar sites in a control neighborhood. Within the targeted neighborhoods, increases in land value are consistent with externalities that fall exponentially with distance. In particular, we estimate that housing externalities decrease by half approximately every 990 feet. On average, land prices in neighborhoods targeted for revitalization rose by 2 to 5 percent at an annual rate above those in the control neighborhood. These increases translate into land value gains of between $2 and $6 per dollar invested in the program over a six-year period. We provide a simple theory that helps us interpret and estimate these effects.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Esteban Rossi-Hansberg & Pierre-Daniel Sarte & Raymond Owens, 2010. "Housing Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(3), pages 485-535, 06.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anglin, Paul M & Gencay, Ramazan, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Hedonic Price Function," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 633-48, Nov.-Dec..
- Strange, William, 1992. "Overlapping neighborhoods and housing externalities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 17-39, July.
- Morris A. Davis & Francois Ortalo-Magne, 2011.
"Household Expenditures, Wages, Rents,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 14(2), pages 248-261, April.
- Morris Davis & Francois Ortalo-Magne, 2010. "Code files for "Household Expenditures, Wages, Rents"," Computer Codes 09-92, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Morris A. Davis & François Ortalo-Magné, 2007. "Household Expenditures, Wages, Rents," CESifo Working Paper Series 2156, CESifo Group Munich.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2004.
"Micro-foundations of urban agglomeration economies,"
Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,
in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 48, pages 2063-2117
- Giles Duranton & Diego Puga, 2003. "Micro-Foundations of Urban Agglomeration Economies," NBER Working Papers 9931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Duranton, Gilles & Puga, Diego, 2003. "Microfoundations of Urban Agglomeration Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 4062, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John DiNardo & Justin L. Tobias, 2001.
"Nonparametric Density and Regression Estimation,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 11-28, Fall.
- Rosenthal, Stuart S. & Strange, William C., 2004. "Evidence on the nature and sources of agglomeration economies," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: J. V. Henderson & J. F. Thisse (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 49, pages 2119-2171 Elsevier.
- Durlauf,S.N., 2003.
17, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Adonis Yatchew & Joungyeo Angela No, 2001. "Household Gasoline Demand in Canada," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1697-1709, November.
- Roland Benabou, 1993.
"Heterogeneity, Stratification, and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
4311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anna M Santiago & George C Galster & Peter Tatian, 2001. "Assessing the property value impacts of the dispersed subsidy housing program in Denver," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 65-88.
- Yatchew, A., 1997. "An elementary estimator of the partial linear model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 135-143, December.
- Schall, Lawrence D, 1976. "Urban Renewal Policy and Economic Efficiency," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 612-28, September.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Chengri Ding & Robert Simons & Esmail Baku, 2000. "The Effect of Residential Investment on Nearby Property Values: Evidence from Cleveland, Ohio," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 19(1), pages 23-48.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:14369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.