Employment Dynamics and Business Relocation: New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series
We analyze and assess new evidence on employment dynamics from a new data source %uF818 the National Establishment Time Series (NETS). The NETS offers advantages over existing data sources for studying employment dynamics, including tracking business establishment relocations that can contribute to job creation or destruction on a regional level. Our primary purpose in this paper is to assess the reliability of the NETS data along a number of dimensions, and we conclude that it is a reliable data source although not without limitations. We also illustrate the usefulness of the NETS data by reporting, for California, a full decomposition of employment change into its six constituent processes, including job creation and destruction stemming from business relocation, which has figured prominently in policy debates but on which there has been no systematic evidence.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2005|
|Publication status:||published as Neumark, David, Junfu Zhang, and Brandon Wall. “Employment Dynamics and Business Relocation: New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series.” Research in Labor Economics (2007): 39-83.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-863.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U. S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-698.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Ron S Jarmin & Javier Miranda, 2002. "The Longitudinal Business Database," Working Papers 02-17, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- James R Spletzer, 1998.
"The Contribution Of Establishment Births And Deaths To Employment Growth,"
98-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Spletzer, James R, 2000. "The Contribution of Establishment Births and Deaths to Employment Growth," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 113-126, January.
- Kirchhoff, Bruce A. & Phillips, Bruce D., 1988. "The effect of firm formation and growth on job creation in the United States," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 261-272.
- Baldwin, John & Picot, Garnett, 1995. "Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 317-331, August.
- Broersma, Lourens & Gautier, Pieter, 1997. "Job Creation and Job Destruction by Small Firms: An Empirical Investigation for the Dutch Manufacturing Sector," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-224, June.
- Jonathan S. Leonard, 1986. "In the Wrong Place at the Wrong Time: The Extent of Frictional and Structural Unemployment," NBER Working Papers 1979, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, John R. & Picot, Garnett, 1994. "Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1994070e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Benedetto, Gary & Haltiwanger, John & Lane, Julia & McKinney, Kevin, 2007. "Using Worker Flows to Measure Firm Dynamics," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 299-313, July.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson L., 1988.
"Plant Turnover And Gross Employment Flows In The U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
9-87-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "Plant Turnover and Gross Employment Flows in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 7(1), pages 48-71, January.
- Aldrich, Howard & Kalleberg, Arne & Marsden, Peter & Cassel, James, 1989. "In pursuit of evidence: Sampling procedures for locating new businesses," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(6), pages 367-386, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:11647. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.