The determinants of job creation and destruction: plant-level evidence for Eastern and Western Germany
We examine job creation and destruction in Eastern and Western Germany for the period of 1999 to 2004, using a large dataset, which enables us to capture clearly entries and exits. There are pronounced differences between the two parts of Germany in terms of magnitude and composition of gross job flows. Considering interaction effects between all variables, weighted regressions show that job creation and destruction can be explained to a large part by plant-specific factors. The pattern found to be pervasive in descriptive studies for other countries that job reallocation rates diminish with firm size and firm age also holds true for Germany. Given that East German plants are smaller and younger than their West German counterparts, this finding largely explains the differences between the East and West German labour dynamics.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: http://www.tu-dresden.de/wiwi/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Picot, Garnett & Baldwin, John R., 1994.
"Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
1994070e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John & Picot, Garnett, 1995. " Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 317-31, August.
- Gomez-Salvador, Ramon & Messina, Julian & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2004.
"Gross job flows and institutions in Europe,"
Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 469-485, August.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Michael Berlemann & Marcel Thum, 2006. "Mittelfristige Perspektiven der Ost-West-Konvergenz," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 13(01), pages 34-39, 02.
- Alfred Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef ZweimÃ¼ller, 2003.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria,"
Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 127-148, June.
- Stahl, Florian & Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labour Market: The Case of Austria," CEPR Discussion Papers 3497, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alfred M Stiglbauer & Florian Stahl & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweim�ller, 2002. "Job creation and job destruction in a regulated labor market: The case of Austria," Economics working papers 2002-05, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Florian Stahl & Alfred Stiglbauer & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimüller, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," Working Papers 78, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Stiglbauer, Alfred M. & Stahl, Florian & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf & Zweimüller, Josef, 2002. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in a Regulated Labor Market: The Case of Austria," IZA Discussion Papers 546, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1993.
"Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0110, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Mortensen, Dale T & Pissarides, Christopher A, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415, July.
- P.A. Geroski & José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2007.
"Founding Conditions and the Survival of New Firms,"
DRUID Working Papers
07-11, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger & John Baldwin, 1994.
"A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States,"
94-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1998. "A Comparison Of Job Creation And Job Destruction In Canada And The United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 347-356, August.
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1994. "A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States," NBER Working Papers 4726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boeri, Tito & Cramer, Ulrich, 1992. "Employment growth, incumbents and entrants : Evidence from Germany," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 545-565, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Diamond, Peter, 1992.
"The Flow Approach to Labor Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 354-59, May.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation," NBER Working Papers 3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Contini, Bruno & Revelli, Riccardo, 1997. "Gross flows vs. net flows in the labor market: What is there to be learned?," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 245-263, September.
- Michael Fritsch & Antje Weyh, 2006. "How Large are the Direct Employment Effects of New Businesses? An Empirical Investigation for West Germany," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 245-260, October.
- Broersma, Lourens & Gautier, Pieter, 1997. " Job Creation and Job Destruction by Small Firms: An Empirical Investigation for the Dutch Manufacturing Sector," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-24, June.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 1999. "Gross job flows," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 41, pages 2711-2805 Elsevier.
- Michael Berlemann & Marcel Thum, 2005. "Blooming landscapes in East Germany?," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(4), pages 16-22, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:0208. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.