Do Small Businesses Create More Jobs? New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Jed Kolko & David Neumark, 2008. "Changes In The Location Of Employment And Ownership: Evidence From California," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(4), pages 717-744.
- Broersma, Lourens & Gautier, Pieter, 1997. "Job Creation and Job Destruction by Small Firms: An Empirical Investigation for the Dutch Manufacturing Sector," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-224, June.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, January.
- repec:eme:rleczz:s0147-9121(06)26002-3 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kirchhoff, Bruce A. & Phillips, Bruce D., 1988. "The effect of firm formation and growth on job creation in the United States," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 261-272.
- Fotini Voulgaris & Theodore Papadogonas & George Agiomirgianakis, 2005. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in Greek Manufacturing," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 289-301, May.
- David Neumark & Junfu Zhang & Brandon Wall, 2005.
"Employment Dynamics and Business Relocation: New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series,"
PPIC Working Papers
2005.11, Public Policy Institute of California.
- David Neumark & Junfu Zhang & Brandon Wall, 2006. "Employment Dynamics and Business Relocation: New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series," Working Papers 050624, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Neumark, David & Zhang, Junfu & Wall, Brandon, 2005. "Employment Dynamics and Business Relocation: New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series," IZA Discussion Papers 1774, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Neumark & Junfu Zhang & Brandon Wall, 2005. "Employment Dynamics and Business Relocation: New Evidence from the National Establishment Time Series," NBER Working Papers 11647, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chesher, Andrew, 1979. "Testing the Law of Proportionate Effect," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 403-411, June.
- Francesca Lotti, 2007. "Firm dynamics in manufacturing and services: a broken mirror?," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 347-369, June.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John & Schuh, Scott, 1996.
"Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing the Facts,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 297-315, August.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1993. "Small Business and Job Creation: Dissecting the Myth and Reassessing theFacts," NBER Working Papers 4492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, John & Picot, Garnett, 1995.
"Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 317-331, August.
- Baldwin, John R. & Picot, Garnett, 1994. "Employment Generation by Small Producers in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1994070e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- D.B. Audretsch & L. Klomp & E. Santarelli & A.R. Thurik, 2004.
"Gibrat's Law: Are the Services Different?,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 24(3), pages 301-324, May.
- Audretsch, D.B. & Klomp, L. & Thurik, A.R., 2002. "Gibrat's Law: are the services different?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-04-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Roy Thurik & Enrico Santarelli & David Audretsch & Luuk Klomp, 2002. "Gibrat's Law: Are the Services Different?," Scales Research Reports H200201, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Steven Klepper & Elizabeth Graddy, 1990. "The Evolution of New Industries and the Determinants of Market Structure," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 27-44, Spring.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Howard J. Shatz, 1994. "Trade and Jobs in Manufacturing," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 25(1), pages 1-84.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "On the Growth of Micro and Small Firms," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 396, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hall, Bronwyn H, 1987.
"The Relationship between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 583-606, June.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 1986. "The Relationship Between Firm Size and Firm Growth in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," NBER Working Papers 1965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1989.
"The Growth and Failure of U. S. Manufacturing Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-698.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," Papers 1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Matthew Barnes & Jonathan Haskel, 2002. "Job Creation, Job Destruction and the Contribution of Small Businesses: Evidence for UK Manufacturing," Working Papers 461, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- José Fariñas & Lourdes Moreno, 2000. "Firms' Growth, Size and Age: A Nonparametric Approach," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 17(3), pages 249-265, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- De-Chih Liu, 2013. "Small business job creation hypothesis in Taiwan," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 1459-1492, April.
- Roger M. Gomis & Sameer Khatiwada, 2017. "Firm dynamics and business cycle: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?," IHEID Working Papers 03-2017, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Majumdar Sumit K., 2015. "Competitor entry impact on jobs and wages in incumbent firms: retrospective evidence from a natural experiment," Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 17(2), pages 291-326, August.
- Gale, William & Brown, Samuel, 2013. "Small Business, Innovation, and Tax Policy: A Review," MPRA Paper 57384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rupasingha, Anil, 2013. "Locally owned: Do local business ownership and size matter for local economic well-being?," FRB Atlanta Community and Economic Development Discussion Paper 2013-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Aghion, Philippe & Akcigit, Ufuk & Howitt, Peter, 2014.
"What Do We Learn From Schumpeterian Growth Theory?,"
Handbook of Economic Growth,in: Handbook of Economic Growth, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 0, pages 515-563
- Aghion, Philippe & Akcigit, Ufuk & Howitt, Peter, 2013. "What Do We Learn From Schumpeterian Growth Theory?," Scholarly Articles 27755233, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Philippe Aghion & Ufuk Akcigit & Peter Howitt, 2013. "What Do We Learn From Schumpeterian Growth Theory?," NBER Working Papers 18824, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aghion, Philippe & Akcigit, Ufuk & Howitt, Peter, 2013. "What Do We Learn From Schumpeterian Growth Theory?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 298, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Philippe Aghion & Ufuk Akcigit & Peter Brown, 2013. "What Do We Learn From Schumpeterian Growth Theory?," PIER Working Paper Archive 13-026, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Marcus H. Böhme & Sarah Kups, 2017. "The economic effects of labour immigration in developing countries: A literature review," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 335, OECD Publishing.
- Fougère, D. & Golfier, C. & Horny, G. & Kremp, E., 2013. "What has been the impact of the 2008 crisis on firms’ default? (in French)," Working papers 463, Banque de France.
- repec:ldr:wpaper:92 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kameliia Petrova, 2012. "Sources of Employment Growth in the North Country," New York Economic Review, New York State Economics Association (NYSEA), vol. 43(1), pages 46-69.
- Haunschild, Ljuba & May-Strobl, Eva, 2009. "Arbeitsplatzdynamik und nachhaltige Beschäftigungswirkungen in kleinen und mittleren Unternehmen: Eine empirische Untersuchung auf Basis des Umsatzsteuerpanels für die Jahre 2001 bis 2005," Working Papers 06/09, Institut für Mittelstandsforschung (IfM) Bonn.
- Andrew Kerr & Martin Wittenberg & Jairo Arrow, 2014. "Job Creation and Destruction in South Africa," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 82(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Magnus Lofstrom, 2013.
"Does self-employment increase the economic well-being of low-skilled workers?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 933-952, May.
- Lofstrom, Magnus, 2009. "Does Self-Employment Increase the Economic Well-Being of Low-Skilled Workers?," IZA Discussion Papers 4539, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Roxana Gutiérrez-Romero, 2012. "Determinants of Spanish Firms' Life Cycle and Job Creation: A Pseudo-Panel Approach," Working Papers wpdea1209, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- World Bank, 2010. "Scaling-Up SME Access to Financial Services," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12515, The World Bank.
- Luz Adriana Flórez & Leonardo Morales Z & Daniel Medina & José Lobo C, 2017. "Labour flows across firm´s size, economic sectors and wages: evidence from employer-employee linked panel," Borradores de Economia 1013, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- William Gale & Samuel Brown, 2013. "Small Business, Innovation, and Tax Policy: A Review," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 66(4), pages 871-892, December.
- Bender, Keith A. & Roche, Kristen, 2013. "Educational mismatch and self-employment," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 85-95.
- Nikolaj Malchow-Møller & Bertel Schjerning & Anders Sørensen, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, job creation and wage growth,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 15-32, January.
- Malchow-Møller, Nikolaj & Schjerning, Bertel & Sørensen, Anders, 2008. "Entrepreneurship, job Creation, and Wage Growth," Working Papers 13-2008, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Nikolaj Malchow-Møller & Bertel Schjerning & Anders Sørensen, 2009. "Entrepreneurship, Job Creation, and Wage Growth," CAM Working Papers 2009-01, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Marco Corsino & Roberto Gabriele & Sandro Trento, 2010. "Job flows in Italian SMEs: a longitudinal analysis of growth, size and age," DISA Working Papers 1008, Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy, revised 22 Dec 2010.
- Ralf R. Meisenzahl, 2016. "Can Financing Constraints Explain the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 48(2), pages 123-147, March.
- Iwona Markowicz, 2015. "Duration Analysis of Firms â€“ Cohort Tables and Hazard Function," International Journal of Business and Social Research, MIR Center for Socio-Economic Research, vol. 5(11), pages 36-47, November.
- Corseuil, Carlos Henrique & Moura, Rodrigo Leandro de, 2010. "The effects of tax incentives for small firms on employment levels," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 701, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bögenhold, Dieter & Fachinger, Uwe, 2012.
"Unternehmertum: Unterschiedliche Facetten selbstständiger Berufstätigkeit
[Entrepreneurship: Diverse aspects of self-employment]," MPRA Paper 51459, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Borsi, Balázs & Dőry, Tibor, 2015.
"A vállalkozóképzés nemzetközi trendjei és a vállalkozói készségek egyetemi fejlesztése. A Széchenyi István Egyetem tudásvállalkozás-fejlesztési programjának tapasztalatai
[International trends of e," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 835-852.
More about this item
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L53 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Enterprise Policy
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:13818. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () or (Joanne Lustig). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.