Housing Behavior and the Experimental Housing Allowance Program: What Have We Learned?
The purpose of this paper is to evaluate the Experimental Housing Allowance Program (EHAP). My focus is on what the experimental data have taught us that could not have been learned from more traditional sources of information. I review the major problems that confronted investigators using non-experimental data, and for each problem discuss whether or not it was mitigated by the availability of EHAP data .I conclude that if the goal was to obtain improved estimates of the behavioral response to housing allowances, a social experiment was not necessary.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Rosen, Harvey S. "Housing Behavior and the Experimental Housing Allowance Program: What Have We Learned?" Social Experimentation, edited by Jerry A . Hausman and David A. Wise. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, (1985) , pp. 55-75.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Polinsky, A Mitchell & Ellwood, David T, 1979. "An Empirical Reconciliation of Micro and Grouped Estimates of the Demand for Housing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 199-205, May.
- Barro, Robert J & Grossman, Herschel I, 1971. "A General Disequilibrium Model of Income and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 82-93, March.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Rosen, Harvey S & Rosen, Kenneth T, 1980. "Federal Taxes and Homeownership: Evidence from Time Series," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 59-75, February.
- Michael Abbott & Orley C Ashenfelter, 1974.
"Labor Supply, Commodity Demand, and the Allocation of Time,"
437, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Michael Abbott & Orley Ashenfelter, 1976. "Labour Supply, Commodity Demand and the Allocation of Time," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 389-411.
- Hanushek, Eric A. & Quigley, John M., 1979. "The dynamics of the housing market: A stock adjustment model of housing consumption," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 90-111, January.
- J. P. Nieuwenhuysen, 1977. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(53), pages 73-75, 01.
- James N. Brown & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982.
"On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, James N & Rosen, Harvey S, 1982. "On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 765-68, May.
- Carliner, Geoffrey, 1973. "Income Elasticity of Housing Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(4), pages 528-32, November.
- C. Lance Barnett, 1979. "Expected and Actual Effects of Housing Allowances on Housing Prices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 7(3), pages 277-297.
- Gregory K. Ingram & Yitzhak Oron, 1977. "The Production of Housing Services from Existing Dwelling Units," NBER Chapters, in: Residential Location and Urban Housing Markets, pages 273-326 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Stafford, 1985. "Income-Maintenance Policy and Work Effort: Learning from Experiments and Labor-Market Studies," NBER Chapters, in: Social Experimentation, pages 95-144 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. H. K. Brunner, 1977. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(56), pages 34-35, October.
- J. O. N. Perkins, 1977. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(56), pages 35-35, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0657. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.