The Macroeconomic Effects of Losing Autonomous Monetary Policy after the Euro Adoption in Poland
There are many issues associated with the Eurozone accession of Poland. The goal of this paper is to analyse one, but very important aspect, namely - the macroeconomic impact of the loss of autonomous monetary policy. In order to answer this question, we build a two country DSGE model with sticky prices. We begin by evaluating the performance of our model. Next, we investigate how joining the Eurozone will affect the business cycle behaviour of the main macroeconomic variables in Poland. We find that the Euro adoption will have a noticeable impact on the Polish economic fluctuations. In particular, the volatility of domestic output increases and the volatility of inflation decreases. Also, in order to quantify the effect of the Euro adoption, we compute the welfare effect of this monetary policy change. Our findings suggest that the welfare cost is not large.
|Date of creation:||May 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21|
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.nbp.pl/Homen.aspx?f=/en/publikacje/materialy_i_studia/informacja_en.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamid Faruqee, 2004. "Measuring the Trade Effects of EMU," IMF Working Papers 04/154, International Monetary Fund.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2002.
"Can sticky price models generate volatile and persistent real exchange rates?,"
277, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V. V Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2002. "Can Sticky Price Models Generate Volatile and Persistent Real Exchange Rates?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 533-563.
- V. V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 1998. "Can sticky price models generate volatile and persistent real exchange rates?," Staff Report 223, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- V.V. Chari & Patrick J. Kehoe & Ellen R. McGrattan, 2000. "Can Sticky Price Models Generate Volatile and Persistent Real Exchange Rates?," NBER Working Papers 7869, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002.
"An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," Working Paper Series rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Andrew Levin & Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson, 1999.
"Optimal Monetary Policy with Staggered Wage and Price Contracts,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
1151, Society for Computational Economics.
- Erceg, Christopher J. & Henderson, Dale W. & Levin, Andrew T., 2000. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-313, October.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson & Andrew T. Levin, 1999. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," International Finance Discussion Papers 640, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sam Schulhofer-Wohl, 2008.
"Heterogeneous Risk Preferences and the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 11(4), pages 761-780, October.
- Sam Schulhofer-Wohl, 2008. "Code and data files for "Heterogeneous Risk Preferences and the Welfare Cost of Business Cycles"," Computer Codes 07-133, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Philippe Karam & Douglas Laxton & David Rose & Natalia Tamirisa, 2008. "The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of Adopting the Euro," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(2), pages 339-355, June.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2003.
"An Estimated Dynamic Stochastic General Equilibrium Model of the Euro Area,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(5), pages 1123-1175, 09.
- Frank Smets & Raf Wouters, 2002. "An estimated dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model of the euro area," Working Paper Research 35, National Bank of Belgium.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert King, 1997.
"The New Neoclassical Synthesis and the Role of Monetary Policy,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1997, Volume 12, pages 231-296
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Robert G. King, 1998. "The new neoclassical synthesis and the role of monetary policy," Working Paper 98-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001.
"Closing Small Open Economy Models,"
Departmental Working Papers
200115, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Kolasa, Marcin, 2008.
"Structural heterogeneity or asymmetric shocks? Poland and the euro area through the lens of a two-country DSGE model,"
8750, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kolasa, Marcin, 2009. "Structural heterogeneity or asymmetric shocks? Poland and the euro area through the lens of a two-country DSGE model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1245-1269, November.
- Marcin Kolasa, 2008. "Structural heterogeneity or asymmetric shocks? Poland and the euro area through the lens of a two-country DSGE model," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 49, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Christine A. McDaniel & Edward J. Balistreri, 2003.
"A Discussion on Armington Trade Substitution Elasticities,"
- McDaniel, Christine A. & Balistreri, Edward J., 2002. "A Discussion on Armington Trade Substitution Elasticities," Working Papers 15856, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Pau Rabanal & Vicente Tuesta, 2013. "Nontradable Goods and the Real Exchange Rate," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 495-535, July.
- repec:nbr:nberre:0126 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris I. Telmer & Amir Yaron, 2000.
"The Welfare Cost of Business Cycles Revisited: Finite Lives and Cyclical Variation in Idiosyncratic Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
8040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Storesletten, Kjetil & Telmer, Chris I. & Yaron, Amir, 2001. "The welfare cost of business cycles revisited: Finite lives and cyclical variation in idiosyncratic risk," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(7), pages 1311-1339.
- Alexandra Lopes, 2006.
"The Costs of EMU for Transition Countries,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2006
149, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alexandra Ferreira Lopes, 2007. "The Costs of EMU for Transition Countries," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 2, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Juillard, Michel, 1996. "Dynare : a program for the resolution and simulation of dynamic models with forward variables through the use of a relaxation algorithm," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9602, CEPREMAP.
- Taylor, John B, 1980.
"Aggregate Dynamics and Staggered Contracts,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 1-23, February.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
- repec:pri:wwseco:dp235 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbp:nbpmis:58. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ewa Szymecka)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.