The Macroeconomic Costs and Benefits of Adopting the Euro
This paper uses a two-country version of the global economy model to investigate some costs and benefits of a small, emerging economy's abandoning a flexible exchange rate regime in favor of adopting the currency of its main trading partner. The topic is particularly relevant for countries in central and eastern Europe, which recently joined the European Union and are now preparing to adopt the euro. We begin by evaluating macroeconomic performance in an inflation-targeting regime under various monetary policy rules. The results are then compared with the case where the small economy gives up its flexible exchange rate and joins the monetary union, under a number of alternative assumptions about the magnitude of shocks and structural rigidities. The analysis shows that although the monetary union has the benefit of eliminating exchange rate shocks, the loss of the buffering role of the exchange rate leads to greater volatility in domestic output and inflation. These costs are likely to decline over time, as markets become more competitive, flexible, and integrated in the monetary union. IMF Staff Papers (2008) 55, 339–355. doi:10.1057/imfsp.2008.9; published online 29 April 2008
Volume (Year): 55 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK|
Web: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/pal/subscribe/index.html Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Peter & Laxton, Douglas & Rose, David, 2001. "An Evaluation of Alternative Monetary Policy Rules in a Model with Capacity Constraints," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(1), pages 42-64, February.
- Batini, Nicoletta & Nelson, Edward, 2000.
"Optimal Horizons for Inflation Targeting,"
Working Paper Series
103, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Nicoletta Batini & Edward Nelson, 2000. "Optimal horizons for inflation targeting," Bank of England working papers 119, Bank of England.
- Nicoletta Batini & Edward Nelson, 1999. "Optimal Horizons for Inflation Targeting," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1052, Society for Computational Economics.
- Alejandro Micco & Ernesto H. Stein & Guillermo Luis Ordoñez, 2003.
"The Currency Union Effect on Trade: Early Evidence from EMU,"
Research Department Publications
4339, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alejandro Micco & Ernesto H. Stein & Guillermo Luis Ordoñez, 2003. "The Currency Union Effect on Trade: Early Evidence from EMU," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6511, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Douglas Laxton & Paolo Pesenti, 2004.
"Benefits and Spillovers of Greater Competition in Europe: A Macroeconomic Assesment,"
NBER Working Papers
10416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Laxton, Douglas & Pesenti, Paolo, 2004. "Benefits and spillovers of greater competition in Europe: a macroeconomic assessment," Working Paper Series 0341, European Central Bank.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Laxton, Doug & Pesenti, Paolo, 2004. "Benefits and Spillovers of Greater Competition in Europe: A Macroeconomic Assessment," CEPR Discussion Papers 4481, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Douglas Laxton & Paolo Pesenti, 2004. "Benefits and spillovers of greater competition in Europe: a macroeconomic assessment," Staff Reports 182, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Douglas Laxton & Paolo Pesenti, 2004. "Benefits and spillovers of greater competition in Europe: a macroeconomic assessment," International Finance Discussion Papers 803, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "One money, one market: the effect of common currencies on trade," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 15(30), pages 7-46, 04.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Hamid Faruqee & Douglas Laxton & Philippe D Karam & Alessandro Rebucci & Jaewoo Lee & Benjamin Hunt & Ivan Tchakarov, 2004. "GEM; A New International Macroeconomic Model," IMF Occasional Papers 239, International Monetary Fund.
- Alejandro Micco & Ernesto Stein & Guillermo OrdoÒez, 2003. "The currency union effect on trade: early evidence from EMU," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 315-356, October.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002.
"An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," Working Paper Series rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hamid Faruqee, 2004. "Measuring the Trade Effects of EMU," IMF Working Papers 04/154, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:imfstp:v:55:y:2008:i:2:p:339-355. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Iulia Badea)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.