Environmental protection expenditure: Ex-post evaluation
The paper presents the methodology for monitoring and evaluating the efficiency of current environmental protection expenditures of municipalities developed within the project of Ministry of Environment of the Czech Republic. The methodology has been approved as the voluntary environmental tool for municipal officials. A proposal of methodological procedure for evaluating municipal environmental protection expenditure is based on multi-criteria weighed assessment. It gives municipalities the instrument for assessment of expenditure efficiency and includes all three pillars of sustainable development – economical, ecological and environmental. In the paper are investigate outputs which results from the evaluation of environmental protection expenditures in the city of Brno that is the second largest city in the Czech Republic and represents the territory where live approximately 380 000 citizens. The results show real state of expenditure efficiency in the city Brno and point out the possibility of improving the current situation. The methodology is assessing tool based on available data usable for other states and their municipalities for evaluation of effectiveness of public spending at the local level.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lipová 41a, Brno, 659 79|
Phone: 05-43 523 111
Fax: 05-42 214 769
Web page: http://www.econ.muni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrike Mandl & Adriaan Dierx & Fabienne Ilzkovitz, 2008. "The effectiveness and efficiency of public spending," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 301, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jollands, Nigel, 2006. "Concepts of efficiency in ecological economics: Sisyphus and the decision maker," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 359-372, March.
- Angel Prieto & José ZofIo, 2001. "Evaluating Effectiveness in Public Provision of Infrastructure and Equipment: The Case of Spanish Municipalities," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 41-58, January.
- Kalseth, Jorid & Rattso, Jorn, 1995. "Spending and overspending in local government administration: A minimum requirement approach applied to Norway," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 239-251, June.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan, 1994.
"Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA and econometric approaches,"
SESO Working Papers
1994002, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 1996. "Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA, and econometric approaches," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 145-170, April.
- De Borger, B & Kerstens, K. & Moesen, W. & Vanneste, J., 1994.
"Explaining Differences in Productive Efficiency: An Application to Belgian Municipalities,"
Springer, vol. 80(3-4), pages 339-58, September.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, K. & MOESEN, Wim & VANNESTE, Jacques, 1992. "Explaining differences in productive efficiency: An application to Belgian municipalities," SESO Working Papers 1992003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- António Afonso & Sónia Fernandes, 2005. "Assessing and Explaining the Relative Efficiency of Local Government: Evidence for Portuguese Municipalities," Working Papers Department of Economics 2005/19, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Hannon, Bruce, 2001. "Ecological pricing and economic efficiency," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 19-30, January.
- Ring, Irene, 2002. "Ecological public functions and fiscal equalisation at the local level in Germany," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 415-427, September.
- Davis, Michael L & Hayes, Kathy, 1993. "The Demand for Good Government," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(1), pages 148-52, February.
- Andrew Burns & Kwang-Yeol Yoo, 2002. "Improving the Efficiency and Sustainability of Public Expenditure in the Czech Republic," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 328, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mub:wpaper:08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.