Public sector efficiency: the roles of political and budgetary institutions, fiscal capacity, and democratic participation
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Lars-Erik Borge & Torberg Falch & Per Tovmo, 2007. "Public Sector Efficiency: The Roles of Political and Budgetary Institutions, Fiscal Capacity and Democratic Participation," Working Paper Series 8407, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
References listed on IDEAS
- De Borger, B & Kerstens, K. & Moesen, W. & Vanneste, J., 1994.
"Explaining Differences in Productive Efficiency: An Application to Belgian Municipalities,"
Springer, vol. 80(3-4), pages 339-358, September.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, K. & MOESEN, Wim & VANNESTE, Jacques, 1992. "Explaining differences in productive efficiency: An application to Belgian municipalities," SESO Working Papers 1992003, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Stefania Fabrizio & Ashoka Mody, 2006.
"Can budget institutions counteract political indiscipline?,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(48), pages 689-739, October.
- Ashoka Mody & Stefania Fabrizio, 2006. "Can Budget Institutions Counteract Political Indiscipline?," IMF Working Papers 06/123, International Monetary Fund.
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2004. "Non-parametric Approaches to Education and Health Expenditure Efficiency in OECD Countries," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/01, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy J. & Taylor, Lori L. & Weber, William L., 2001. "On the Determinants of School District Efficiency: Competition and Monitoring," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 453-478, May.
- Borge, Lars-Erik, 2000. "Charging for public services: the case of utilities in Norwegian local governments," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 703-718, December.
- Hayes, Kathy J & Razzolini, Laura & Ross, Leola B, 1998.
"Bureaucratic Choice and Nonoptimal Provision of Public Goods: Theory and Evidence,"
Springer, vol. 94(1-2), pages 1-20, January.
- Kathy Hayes & Laura Razzolini & Leola Ross, 1998. "Bureaucratic choice and nonoptimal provision of public goods: Theory and evidence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 94(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Yianos Kontopoulos & Roberto Perotti, 1999. "Government Fragmentation and Fiscal Policy Outcomes: Evidence from OECD Countries," NBER Chapters,in: Fiscal Institutions and Fiscal Performance, pages 81-102 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mueller, Dennis C. & Stratmann, Thomas, 2003. "The economic effects of democratic participation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 2129-2155, September.
- John Ashworth & Benny Geys & Bruno Heyndels, 2005. "Government Weakness and Local Public Debt Development in Flemish Municipalities," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 12(4), pages 395-422, August.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sachs, Jeffrey D., 1989. "Political and economic determinants of budget deficits in the industrial democracies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 903-933, May.
- Volkerink, Bjorn & De Haan, Jakob, 2001. "Fragmented Government Effects on Fiscal Policy: New Evidence," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 109(3-4), pages 221-242, December.
- Strom, Bjarne, 1995. "Envy, Fairness and Political Influence in Local Government Wage Determination: Evidence from Norway," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(247), pages 389-409, August.
- Per Tovmo, 2007. "Budgetary Procedures and Deficits in Norwegian Local Governments," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 37-49, January.
- Lars-Erik Borge & Linn Renée Naper, 2006.
"Efficiency Potential and Efficiency Variation in Norwegian Lower Secondary Schools,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 62(2), pages 221-249, June.
- Lars-Erik Borge & Linn Renée Naper, 2005. "Efficiency potential and efficiency variation in Norwegian lower secondary schools," Working Paper Series 6205, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Lars-Erik Borge & Linn Renée Naper, 2005. "Efficiency Potential and Efficiency Variation in Norwegian Lower Secondary Schools," CESifo Working Paper Series 1624, CESifo Group Munich.
- De Borger, Bruno & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 1996.
"Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA, and econometric approaches,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 145-170, April.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & KERSTENS, Kristiaan, 1994. "Cost efficiency of Belgian local governments: A comparative analysis of FDH, DEA and econometric approaches," SESO Working Papers 1994002, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Niskanen, William A, 1975. "Bureaucrats and Politicians," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 617-643, December.
- Nouriel Roubini & Jeffrey Sachs, 1988. "Political and Economic Determinants of Budget Deficits in the IndustrialDemocracies," NBER Working Papers 2682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Balaguer-Coll, Maria Teresa & Prior, Diego & Tortosa-Ausina, Emili, 2007.
"On the determinants of local government performance: A two-stage nonparametric approach,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 425-451, February.
- Emili Tortosa Ausina & Diego Prior & María Teresa Balaguer-Coll, 2004. "On The Determinants Of Local Government Performance: A Two-Stage Nonparametric Approach," Working Papers. Serie EC 2004-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- António Afonso & Ludger Schuknecht & Vito Tanzi, 2005.
"Public sector efficiency: An international comparison,"
Springer, vol. 123(3), pages 321-347, June.
- Schuknecht, Ludger & Tanzi, Vito & Afonso, António, 2003. "Public sector efficiency: an international comparison," Working Paper Series 242, European Central Bank.
- Nouriel Roubini & Jeffrey Sachs, 1989. "Government Spending and Budget Deficits in the Industrial Economies," NBER Working Papers 2919, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geys, Benny, 2006.
"Looking across borders: A test of spatial policy interdependence using local government efficiency ratings,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 443-462, November.
- Geys, Benny, 2006.
"Looking across borders: a test of spatial policy interdependence using local government efficiency ratings
[Der Blick über die Grenze: Untersuchung von räumlichen Wechselbeziehungen in der Kommunal," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2006-03, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Geys, Benny, 2006. "Looking across borders: a test of spatial policy interdependence using local government efficiency ratings
- Falch, Torberg, 2001. "Collective bargaining in the public sector and the role of budget determination," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 75-99, March.
- Chan, Kenneth S. & Mestelman, Stuart, 1988. "Institutions, efficiency and the strategic behaviour of sponsors and bureaus," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 91-102, October.
- VANDEN EECKAUT, Philippe & TULKENS, Henry & JAMAR, Marie-Astrid, 1993. "Cost efficiency in Belgian municipalities," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1033, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Falch, Torberg & Rattso, Jorn, 1997. "Political economic determinants of school spending in federal states: Theory and time-series evidence," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 299-314, May.
- Duncombe, William & Miner, Jerry & Ruggiero, John, 1997. "Empirical Evaluation of Bureaucratic Models of Inefficiency," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 93(1-2), pages 1-18, October.
- Moene, Karl O., 1986. "Types of bureaucratic interaction," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 333-345, April.
- Mueller,Dennis C., 2003. "Public Choice III," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521894753.
- Revelli, Federico & Tovmo, Per, 2007. "Revealed yardstick competition: Local government efficiency patterns in Norway," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 121-134, July.
- Borge, Lars-Erik, 2005. "Strong politicians, small deficits: evidence from Norwegian local governments," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 325-344, June.
- Jorid Kalseth & Jørn Rattsø, 1998. "Political Control of Administrative Spending: The Case of Local Governments in Norway," Economics and Politics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 63-83, March.
More about this item
KeywordsPublic sector efficiency; Political and budgetary institutions; Fiscal capacity; Democratic participation; H72; H75;
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- H75 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Government: Health, Education, and Welfare
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:pubcho:v:136:y:2008:i:3:p:475-495. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.