Innovation, learning and productivity improvement in developing countries : a dynamic model of technological adoption and industry evolution
This paper develops and analyses a dynamic model, which combines both the adoption and the industry evolution theories. We model the decision of adoption, learning entry and exit of firms. These decisions depend on the interaction of technology characteristics (effectiveness, machinery and information costs...) and other economic indicators (firm's size, technology capability, competition concentration, returns of scale...). We use the model's theoretical results to analyze simultaneously the effects on the structure and the average efficiency of the industry and to develop a framework for understanding the public policy action necessary to enhance adoption and average productivity.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106 - 112 boulevard de l'Hôpital, 75647 Paris cedex 13|
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vega-Redondo, Fernando, 1996.
"Technological change and market structure: An evolutionary approach,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 203-226.
- Fernando Vega Redondo, 1991. "Technological Change And Market Structure: An Evolutionary Approach," Working Papers. Serie AD 1991-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Gotz, Georg, 2000. "Strategic timing of adoption of new technologies under uncertainty: A note," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 369-379, February.
- Vettas, Nikolaos, 2000. "On entry, exit, and coordination with mixed strategies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1557-1576, August.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1987. "Innovation, Market Structure, and Firm Size," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 567-74, November.
- Jensen, Richard, 1992. "Innovation Adoption and Welfare under Uncertainty," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 173-80, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:bla04112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.