Improving Aid Effectiveness in Aid-Dependent Countries: Lessons from Zambia
Zambia was a middle-income country when it achieved independence from Great Britain in 1964. After decades of international aid Zambia has become a low-income country, and its per capita GDP is only now returning to the levels it had reached over forty years ago. While aid is far from the only variable at work in Zambia's development, its impact has been questionable. This paper examines the issue of aid effectiveness in Zambia, especially in terms of how the incentive structure faced by donors may lead to decreased accountability and inadequate concern for long-term outcomes, rendering aid less beneficial. The paper concludes by proposing a revised approach to the provision and use of international aid in Zambia, as well as in other aid-dependent countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitfield, Lindsay (ed.), 2008. "The Politics of Aid: African Strategies for Dealing with Donors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199560172.
- World Bank, 2003. "Zambia : Public Expenditure Management and Financial Accountability Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14695, The World Bank.
- Svensson, Jakob, 1998.
"Foreign aid and rent-seeking,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1880, The World Bank.
- William Easterly, 2003. "Can Foreign Aid Buy Growth?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 23-48, Summer.
- David Roodman, 2007.
"The Anarchy of Numbers: Aid, Development, and Cross-Country Empirics,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 21(2), pages 255-277, May.
- David Roodman, 2004. "The Anarchy of Numbers: Aid, Development, and Cross-country Empirics," Development and Comp Systems 0412003, EconWPA.
- Svensson, Jakob, 2003. "Why conditional aid does not work and what can be done about it?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 381-402, April.
- David de la Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2007.
"Growth, Public Investment and Corruption with Failing Institutions,"
61, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- David Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2009. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 187-219, July.
- David De La Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2008. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00129741, HAL.
- DE LA CROIX, David & DELAVALLADE, Clara, 2006. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," CORE Discussion Papers 2006101, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David, DE LA CROIX & Clara, DELAVALLADE, 2006. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006057, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- DE LA CROIX, David & DELAVALLADE, Clara, . "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2107, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David De la Croix & Clara Delavallade, 2006. "Growth, public investment and corruption with failing institutions," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v06078a, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Henrik Hansen & Finn Tarp, 2000. "Aid effectiveness disputed," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(3), pages 375-398.
- Burnside, Craig & Dollar, David, 1997.
"Aid, policies, and growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1777, The World Bank.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Zulu, Ballard & Kajoba, Gear & Weber, Michael T., 2009.
"Access to Land and Poverty Reduction in Rural Zambia: Connecting the Policy Issues,"
Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs
55054, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Zulu, Ballard & Kajoba, Gear & Weber, Michael T., 2008. "Access to Land, and Poverty Reduction in Rural Zambia: Connecting the Policy Issues," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54493, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Mosley, Paul & Hudson, John & Horrell, Sara, 1987. "Aid, the Public Sector and the Market in Less Developed Countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 616-41, September.
- William Easterly, 2008.
"Can the West Save Africa?,"
NBER Working Papers
14363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ian Heggie, 1999. "Commercially managed road funds: managing roads like a business, not like a bureaucracy," Transportation, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 87-111, February.
- Brautigam, Deborah A & Knack, Stephen, 2004. "Foreign Aid, Institutions, and Governance in Sub-Saharan Africa," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 255-85, January.
- Nokkala, Marko, 2001. "Simulating the Effects of Debt Relief in Zambia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hansen, Henrik & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Aid and growth regressions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 547-570, April.
- C-J. Dalgaard & H. Hansen, 2001. "On Aid, Growth and Good Policies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6), pages 17-41.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A, 2002. "An African Success Story: Botswana," CEPR Discussion Papers 3219, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boone, Peter, 1996. "Politics and the effectiveness of foreign aid," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 289-329, February.
- LaLonde, Robert J, 1986. "Evaluating the Econometric Evaluations of Training Programs with Experimental Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 604-20, September.
- Martin MÃ¼hleisen & Dhaneshwar Ghura & Roger Nord & Michael T. Hadjimichael & E. Murat Ucer, 1995. "Sub-Saharan Africa; Growth, Savings, and Investment, 1986-1993," IMF Occasional Papers 118, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:11040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.