Exporting, R&D Investment and Firm Survival
This paper examines the effect of exporting on firm survival for a panel of Indian IT firms. We show that exporting has competing effects on firm survival. On the one hand, exporting and investing in productivity are complementary activities, while on the other exporting activity is an additional source of uncertainty for the firm. We show that both effects influence survival, but operate at different points in time. Specifically, the hazard facing exporters is higher than non-exporters in the initial phase following entry into the export market, reflecting the fact that exporters are particularly vulnerable to shocks in the start-up phase. However, over time, exporters benefit more from productivity gains than non-exporters and the hazard facing exporters falls below that confronting non-exporters.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Silviano Esteve-Pérez & Amparo Sanchis-Llopis & Juan Sanchis-Llopis, 2010. "A competing risks analysis of firms’ exit," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 281-304, April.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-45, September.
- Paula Bustos, 2009.
"Trade Liberalization, Exports and Technology Upgrading: Evidence on the Impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinean Firms,"
2009 Meeting Papers
1029, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Paula Bustos, 2011. "Trade Liberalization, Exports, and Technology Upgrading: Evidence on the Impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinian Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(1), pages 304-40, February.
- Paula Bustos, 2009. "Trade liberalization, exports and technology upgrading: Evidence on the impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinean firms," Economics Working Papers 1173, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Das, Sanghamitra & Srinivasan, Krishna, 1997. "Duration of firms in an infant industry: the case of Indian computer hardware," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 157-167, June.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:125:y:2010:i:3:p:1051-1099 is not listed on IDEAS
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2007.
"Size, Innovation and Internationalization: A Survival Analysis of Italian Firms,"
Working Papers - Economics
wp2007_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2011. "Size, innovation and internationalization: a survival analysis of Italian firms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(12), pages 1511-1520.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Satu Nurmi, 2010.
"Dynamics of Export Market Entry and Exit,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 112(1), pages 101-126, 03.
- Shiferaw, Admasu, 2009. "Survival of Private Sector Manufacturing Establishments in Africa: The Role of Productivity and Ownership," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 572-584, March.
- Alla Lileeva & Daniel Trefler, 2007.
"Improved Access to Foreign Markets Raises Plant-Level Productivity ... for Some Plants,"
NBER Working Papers
13297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang,Fwu-Ranq, 2004.
"Stochastic Optimization in Continuous Time,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521834063.
- Florian Heiss & Jens Köke, 2004.
"Dynamics in Ownership and Firm Survival: Evidence from Corporate Germany,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(1), pages 167-195.
- Heiss, Florian & Köke, Jens, 2001. "Dynamics in ownership and firm survival: evidence from corporate Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-63, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fukunari Kimura & Kozo Kiyota, 2006. "Exports, FDI, and Productivity: Dynamic Evidence from Japanese Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 695-719, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:2011-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.