Market Access and Technology Adoption in the Presence of FDI
This paper theoretically investigates whether improved access to the domestic market increases the speed with which a foreign firm adopts new technology. In our model, foreign firms choose between exporting and foreign direct investment (FDI) in serving the domestic market. In the absence of other foreign firms, a reduction in the fixed cost of FDI promotes and accelerates technology adoption by the foreign firm, while tariff-free access to the domestic market induces the most rapid timing of technology adoption. If there is another foreign firm that has already adopted the advanced technology and both firms compete in the domestic market, a reduction in the fixed cost of FDI or the elimination of the tariff may either deter or delay the timing of technology adoption. The quickest timing of technology adoption may be attained when the fixed cost of FDI and the tariff are neither very high nor very low. These results suggest that improved access to the domestic market does not necessarily contribute to the technological upgrading of foreign firms.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jürgen Bitzer & Holger Görg, 2009.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Competition and Industry Performance,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(2), pages 221-233, 02.
- Jürgen Bitzer & Holger Görg, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment, Competition and Industry Performance," Kiel Working Papers 1416, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Miyagiwa, K. & Ohno, Y., 1993.
"Closing the Technology Gap Under Protection,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
93-09, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Alla Lileeva & Daniel Trefler, 2010.
"Improved Access to Foreign Markets Raises Plant-Level Productivity... for Some Plants,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 125(3), pages 1051-1099, August.
- Alla Lileeva & Daniel Trefler, 2007. "Improved Access to Foreign Markets Raises Plant-Level Productivity ... for Some Plants," NBER Working Papers 13297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Meredith A. Crowley, 2002.
"Do safeguard tariffs and antidumping duties open or close technology gaps?,"
Working Paper Series
WP-02-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Crowley, Meredith A., 2006. "Do safeguard tariffs and antidumping duties open or close technology gaps?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 469-484, March.
- Saggi, Kamal, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment, Licensing, and Incentives for Innovation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(4), pages 699-714, November.
- Fukunari Kimura & Kozo Kiyota, 2006. "Exports, FDI, and Productivity: Dynamic Evidence from Japanese Firms," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 142(4), pages 695-719, December.
- Ederington, Josh & McCalman, Phillip, 2008. "Endogenous firm heterogeneity and the dynamics of trade liberalization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 422-440, March.
- Paula Bustos, 2011.
"Trade Liberalization, Exports, and Technology Upgrading: Evidence on the Impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinian Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(1), pages 304-40, February.
- Paula Bustos, 2009. "Trade liberalization, exports and technology upgrading: Evidence on the impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinean firms," Economics Working Papers 1173, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Paula Bustos, 2009. "Trade Liberalization, Exports and Technology Upgrading: Evidence on the Impact of MERCOSUR on Argentinean Firms," 2009 Meeting Papers 1029, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:13040. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.