Credit, Venture Capital And Regional Economic Growth
In this paper we investigate the relationship between finance and regional economic growth. The dataset consists of a panel of 53 regions belonging to three countries, Germany, Italy and Spain, for the period 1995-2008. To avoid a problem of endogeneity, we estimate a dynamic panel using the generalised method of moments (GMM). The results underline the important role played by bank lending in regional economic growth. The distinction between mutual and commercial credit suggests that both types of bank are important for regional growth but the role of mutual banks is greater in economically deprived areas [EDAs]. Similar results are obtained for the venture capital variable
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economia.unimore.it/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefano Usai & Marco Vannini, 2005.
"Banking structure and regional economic growth: lessons from Italy,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 39(4), pages 691-714, December.
- S. Usai & M. Vannini, 2004. "Banking structure and Regional Economic Growth: lessons from Italy," Working Paper CRENoS 200417, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- de la Fuente, Angel & Marín Vigueras, José Maria, 1995.
"Innovation, 'Bank' Monitoring and Endogenous Financial Development,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1276, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de la Fuente, Angel & Marin, JoseMaria, 1996. "Innovation, bank monitoring, and endogenous financial development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 269-301, October.
- Ángel de la Fuente & José M. Marín, 1994. "Innovation, "bank" monitoring and endogenous financial development," Economics Working Papers 59, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Robert G. King & Ross Levine, 1993.
"Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might Be Right,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 717-737.
- Valerie R. Bencivenga & Bruce D. Smith, 1991.
"Financial Intermediation and Endogenous Growth,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 195-209.
- Marina Murat & Barbara Pistoresi, 2006.
"Emigrants and immigrants networks in FDI,"
Department of Economics
0546, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Mariassunta Giannetti & Luigi Guiso & Tullio Jappelli & Mario Padula & Marco Pagano, 2002. "Financial Market Integration, Corporate Financing and Economic Growth," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 179, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Giuseppe Marotta, 1997. "Does trade credit redistribution thwart monetary policy? Evidence from Italy," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1619-1629.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2001. "Venture Capitalists As Principals: Contracting, Screening, and Monitoring," NBER Working Papers 8202, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rioja, Felix & Valev, Neven, 2004. "Does one size fit all?: a reexamination of the finance and growth relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 429-447, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mod:depeco:0680. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Colombini)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.