A Note on Excess Money Growth and Inflation Dynamics: Evidence from Threshold Regression
We test the effect of excess money growth on inflation using Threshold Regression technique developed by Hansen (2000). The empirical test is conducted using annual data from India for the period from 1953-54 to 2007-08. The results clearly exhibits that the relationship is not linear and without a strong credit growth, excess money growth has lesser inflationary effects.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (91) (044) 235 4847
Web page: http://www.mse.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roffia, Barbara & Zaghini, Andrea, 2007.
"Excess money growth and inflation dynamics,"
Working Paper Series
0749, European Central Bank.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1996.
"Sample Splitting and Threshold Estimation,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
319., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 May 1998.
- Oecd, 2006. "Are House Prices Nearing a Peak?: A Probit Analysis for 17 OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 488, OECD Publishing.
- Luca Benati, 2005.
"U.K. Monetary Regimes and Macroeconomic Stylised Facts,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
107, Society for Computational Economics.
- Luca Benati, 2006. "UK monetary regimes and macroeconomic stylised facts," Bank of England working papers 290, Bank of England.
- Lars E.O. Svensson & Stefan Gerlach, 2001.
"Money and inflation in the Euro Area: A case for monetary indicators?,"
BIS Working Papers
98, Bank for International Settlements.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Svensson, Lars E. O., 2003. "Money and inflation in the euro area: A case for monetary indicators?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1649-1672, November.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Svensson, Lars E O, 2002. "Money and Inflation in the Euro-Area: A Case for Monetary Indicators?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefan Gerlach & Lars E.O. Svensson, 2000. "Money and Inflation in the Euro Area: A Case for Monetary Indicators?," NBER Working Papers 8025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio E. V. Borio & Philip Lowe, 2004. "Securing sustainable price stability: should credit come back from the wilderness?," BIS Working Papers 157, Bank for International Settlements.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Two Illustrations of the Quantity Theory of Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1005-14, December.
- José Ferreira Machado & João Sousa, 2006. "Identifying asset price booms and busts with quantile regressions," Working Papers w200608, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Albert Jaeger, 2003. "The ECB'S Money Pillar; An Assessment," IMF Working Papers 03/82, International Monetary Fund.
- DETKEN Carsten & SMETS Frank, .
"Asset Price Booms and Monetary Policy,"
- Lothian, James R, 1985. "Equilibrium Relationships between Money and Other Economic Variables," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 828-35, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mad:wpaper:2013-078. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geetha G)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.