Thresholds Effect of Money Growth on Inflation in Iran
This paper surveys the effects of money growth and economic growth on inflation in Iran. We use Threshold Vector Error Correction Model (TVECM) for two sets of bivariate series inflationmoney growth and inflation-economic growth separately and estimate the parameters of TVECMs by quantitative econometric software R 3.1.0. The estimation results based on the sample of data 1990:Q1 to 2013:Q4 show the long-run equation with threshold value 0.028 for bivariate series inflation-money growth. In the short-run, money growth has no effect on the inflation rate if economy switches to the low-inflation regime (the quarterly inflation rate being less than 2.8 percent) but it has significant positive impact on inflation at high-inflation regime Estimated threshold value for bivariate series inflationeconomic growth is 0.073 and the high inflation rate above this threshold value, in contrast to low inflation rate, has positive effects on economic growth in the short-run. The obtained results support the view that inflation rate dynamics may be different when economy switch to the different inflation regime.
Volume (Year): 4 (2014)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/IJARBSS|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Potter, Simon M, 1995.
"A Nonlinear Approach to US GNP,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 109-125, April-Jun.
- Simon M. Potter, 1993. "A Nonlinear Approach to U.S. GNP," UCLA Economics Working Papers 693, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-270, July.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "ZIVOT: RATS procedure to perform Zivot-Andrews Unit Root Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00236, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Granger, C W J & Lee, T H, 1989. "Investigation of Production, Sales and Inventory Relationships Using Multicointegration and Non-symmetric Error Correction Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages 145-159, Supplemen.
- Seo, Myunghwan, 2006. "Bootstrap testing for the null of no cointegration in a threshold vector error correction model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 129-150, September.
- Strikholm, Birgit & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2005. "Determining the Number of Regimes in a Threshold Autoregressive Model Using Smooth Transition Autoregressions," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 578, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 11 Feb 2005.
- Mohammad Mirbagherijam, 2014. "Survey the Dynamic of Inflation in Iran Since 1990," International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, vol. 4(6), pages 210-224, June.
- Kazeem Bello Ajide & Olukemi Lawanson, 2012. "Inflation Thresholds and Economic Growth: Evidence from Nigeria," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(7), pages 876-901, November.
- Saumitra, Bhaduri & Raja, Sethudurai, 2012. "A note on excess money growth and inflation dynamics: evidence from threshold regression," MPRA Paper 38036, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saumitra N Bhaduri & S. Raja Sethu Durai, 2013. "A Note on Excess Money Growth and Inflation Dynamics: Evidence from Threshold Regression," Working Papers 2013-078, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- David, Drukker & Pedro, Gomis-Porqueras & Paula, Hernandez -erme, 2005. "Threshold effects in the relationship between inflation and growth: a new panel-data approach," MPRA Paper 38225, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hur:ijarbs:v:4:y:2014:i:9:p:319-329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.