Nations will fall? Revisiting the economic determinants of attitudes to European integration
A model is constructed, using Eurobarometer data, of the propensity of individuals to favour European integration. A key role is played by economic considerations: countries in which income per capita is relatively low contain individuals that are more positive in their attitudes to Europe; growth is associated with more positive attitudes; economic fluctuations, above a threshold, are associated with more negative attitudes. Correcting for multicollinearity increases the explanatory power of many variables, and weakens the power of country dummies.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (1524) 594601
Fax: +44 (1524) 594244
Web page: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vlachos, Jonas, 2003.
"Who Wants Political Integration? Evidence from the Swedish EU-Membership Referendum,"
Working Paper Series
594, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Vlachos, Jonas, 2004. "Who wants political integration?: Evidence from the Swedish EU-membership referendum," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1589-1604, July.
- Orlagh Doyle & Jan Fidrmuc, 2005.
"Who is in Favour of Enlargement? Determinants of Support for EU Membership in the Candidate's Countries Referenda,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Doyle, Orla & Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004. "Who is in favor of enlargement? Determinants of support for EU membership in the candidate countries' referenda," ZEI Working Papers B 04-2004, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Doyle, Orla & Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004. "Who is in Favour of Enlargement? Determinants of Support for EU Membership in the Candidate Countries Referenda," CEPR Discussion Papers 4273, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Casella, Alessandra, 1996.
"Large Countries, Small Countries and the Enlargement of Trade Blocs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Casella, Alessandra, 1996. "Large countries, small countries and the enlargement of trade blocs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 389-415, February.
- Alessandra Casella, 1995. "Large Countries, Small Countries, and the Enlargement of Trade Blocs," NBER Working Papers 5365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichenberg, Richard C. & Dalton, Russell J., 1993. "Europeans and the European Community: the dynamics of public support for European integration," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(04), pages 507-534, September.
- Pepermans, Roland & Verleye, Gino, 1998. "A unified Europe? How euro-attitudes relate to psychological differences between countries," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 681-699, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lan:wpaper:566772. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Zanardi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.