Nations will fall? Revisiting the economic determinants of attitudes to European integration
A model is constructed, using Eurobarometer data, of the propensity of individuals to favour European integration. A key role is played by economic considerations: countries in which income per capita is relatively low contain individuals that are more positive in their attitudes to Europe; growth is associated with more positive attitudes; economic fluctuations, above a threshold, are associated with more negative attitudes. Correcting for multicollinearity increases the explanatory power of many variables, and weakens the power of country dummies.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (1524) 594601
Fax: +44 (1524) 594244
Web page: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/lums
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Casella, Alessandra, 1996.
"Large Countries, Small Countries and the Enlargement of Trade Blocs,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1320, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Casella, Alessandra, 1996. "Large countries, small countries and the enlargement of trade blocs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 389-415, February.
- Alessandra Casella, 1995. "Large Countries, Small Countries, and the Enlargement of Trade Blocs," NBER Working Papers 5365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vlachos, Jonas, 2003.
"Who Wants Political Integration? Evidence from the Swedish EU-Membership Referendum,"
Working Paper Series
594, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Vlachos, Jonas, 2004. "Who wants political integration?: Evidence from the Swedish EU-membership referendum," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(7-8), pages 1589-1604, July.
- Doyle, Orla & Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004.
"Who is in Favour of Enlargement? Determinants of Support for EU Membership in the Candidate Countries Referenda,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4273, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Orlagh Doyle & Jan Fidrmuc, 2005. "Who is in Favour of Enlargement? Determinants of Support for EU Membership in the Candidate's Countries Referenda," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp045, IIIS.
- Doyle, Orla & Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004. "Who is in favor of enlargement? Determinants of support for EU membership in the candidate countries' referenda," ZEI Working Papers B 04-2004, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Eichenberg, Richard C. & Dalton, Russell J., 1993. "Europeans and the European Community: the dynamics of public support for European integration," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(04), pages 507-534, September.
- Pepermans, Roland & Verleye, Gino, 1998. "A unified Europe? How euro-attitudes relate to psychological differences between countries," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 681-699, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lan:wpaper:566772. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Zanardi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.