Leading Indicators of Real Activity and Inflation for Turkey, 2001-2010
This paper develops a set of leading indicators of industrial production growth and consumer price inflation for the period 2001-2010. The choice of indicators is based on pseudo out-of-sample forecasting exercise implemented by Stock and Watson (2003), amongst others. We find that asset prices that reflect expectational factors or interest rates that capture the costs of borrowing for the Turkish economy tend to have the greatest predictive power for future real activity and inflation. Our findings provide evidence on the factors determining real activity and inflation in a period of disinflation and normalization for the Turkish economy.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rumelifeneri Yolu, Sarıyer, 34450 İstanbul|
Web page: http://erf.ku.edu.tr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & George Saravelos, 2010. "Are Leading Indicators of Financial Crises Useful for Assessing Country Vulnerability? Evidence from the 2008-09 Global Crisis," NBER Working Papers 16047, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Altug, Sumru & Ashley, Richard A. & Patterson, Douglas M., 1999. "Are Technology Shocks Nonlinear?," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(04), pages 506-533, December.
- de Carvalho Filho Irineu E, 2011.
"28 Months Later: How Inflation Targeters Outperformed Their Peers in the Great Recession,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-46, July.
- de Carvalho Filho, Irineu, 2011. "28 Months Later: How Inflation Targeters Outperformed Their Peers in the Great Recession," MPRA Paper 29100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sumru Altuğ & Melike Bildirici, 2010.
"Business Cycles around the Globe: A Regime Switching Approach,"
0032, Yildiz Technical University, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2010.
- Altug, Sumru G. & Bildirici, Melike, 2010. "Business Cycles around the Globe: A Regime-switching Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 7968, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sumru Altug & Melike Bildirici, 2010. "Business Cycles around the Globe: A Regime Switching Approach," Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1009, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Todd E. Clark & Michael McCracken, 1999.
"Tests of Equal Forecast Accuracy and Encompassing for Nested Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
1241, Society for Computational Economics.
- Clark, Todd E. & McCracken, Michael W., 2001. "Tests of equal forecast accuracy and encompassing for nested models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 85-110, November.
- Todd E. Clark & Michael W. McCracken, 1999. "Tests of equal forecast accuracy and encompassing for nested models," Research Working Paper 99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Todd E. Clark & Michael W. McCracken, 2000. "Tests of Equal Forecast Accuracy and Encompassing for Nested Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0319, Econometric Society.
- Altinay, Galip & Karagol, Erdal, 2005. "Electricity consumption and economic growth: Evidence from Turkey," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 849-856, November.
- Sumru Altug & Mustafa Emin & Bilin Neyapti, 2011.
"Institutions and Business Cycles,"
Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1109, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Wesley Clair Mitchell & Arthur F. Burns, 1938. "Statistical Indicators of Cyclical Revivals," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number mitc38-1.
- Aslihan Atabek & Evren Erdogan Cosar & Saygin Sahinöz, 2005. "A New Composite Leading Indicator for Turkish Economic Activity," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(1), pages 45-64, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:koc:wpaper:1134. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sumru Oz)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.