On the Effects of Emission Standards as Technical Barriers to Trade: A Foreign Duopoly Case
Employing an environmentally differentiated duopoly model, we analyze how emission standards affect imports, the environment, and social welfare. We show that a strict emission standard is not necessarily import-restrictive, whereas it may possibly degrade the environment. Furthermore, we present evidence that the effect of emission standards on net social surplus depends on the mode of market competition and the degree of marginal social valuation of environmental damage.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2007|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501|
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rauscher, Michael, 1997. "International Trade, Factor Movements, and the Environment," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290506.
- J. Peter Neary, 2005.
"International trade and the environment : theoretical and policy linkages,"
200018, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- J. Neary, 2006. "International Trade and the Environment: Theoretical and Policy Linkages," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 33(1), pages 95-118, 01.
- Besanko, David, 1987. "Performance versus design standards in the regulation of pollution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 19-44, October.
- Valentini, Laura, 2005. "Environmental quality provision and eco-labelling: Some issues," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2005-02, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Uri Ronnen, 1991. "Minimum Quality Standards, Fixed Costs, and Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 22(4), pages 490-504, Winter.
- Valletti, Tommaso M, 2000. "Minimum Quality Standards under Cournot Competition," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 235-245, November.
- Tsuyoshi Toshimitsu & Naoto Jinji, 2008. "A Note on Strategic Trade Policy and Endogenous Quality Choice," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 173-185, 02.
- Toshimitsu, Tsuyoshi, 2008. "Effect of a tariff on the environment and welfare: The case of an environmental differentiated duopoly in a Green Market," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 114-128, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.