Estimating Production Functions with Robustness Against Errors in the Proxy Variables
This paper proposes a new semi-nonparametric maximum likelihood estimation method for estimating production functions. The method extends the literature on structural estimation of production functions, started by the seminal work of Olley and Pakes (1996), by relaxing the scalar-unobservable assumption about the proxy variables. The key additional assumption needed in the identification argument is the existence of two conditionally independent proxy variables. The assumption seems reasonable in many important cases. The new method is straightforward to apply, and a consistent estimate of the asymptotic covariance matrix of the structural parameters can be easily computed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3400 North Charles Street Baltimore, MD 21218|
Web page: http://www.econ.jhu.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Doraszelski, Ulrich & Jaumandreu, Jordi, 2006.
"R&D and productivity: Estimating production functions when productivity is endogenous,"
1246, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Doraszelski, Ulrich & Jaumandreu, Jordi, 2008. "R&D and Productivity: Estimating Production Functions when Productivity is Endogenous," CEPR Discussion Papers 6636, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jaumandreu, Jordi & Doraszelski, Ulrich, 2007. "R&D and productivity : estimating production functions when productivity is endogenous," UC3M Working papers. Economics we078652, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Ackerberg, Daniel & Caves, Kevin & Frazer, Garth, 2006. "Structural identification of production functions," MPRA Paper 38349, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Steve Bond & Måns Söderbom, 2005.
"Adjustment costs and the identification of Cobb Douglas production functions,"
IFS Working Papers
W05/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond & Måns Söderbom, 2005. "Adjustment Costs and the Identification of Cobb Douglas Production Functions," Economics Papers 2005-W04, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 2000.
"GMM Estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 321-340.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1999. "GMM estimation with persistent panel data: an application to production functions," IFS Working Papers W99/04, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Daniel Ackerberg & Xiaohong Chen & Jinyong Hahn, 2011. "Asymptotic Variance Estimator for Two-Step Semiparametric Estimators," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1803, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Yingyao Hu & Susanne M. Schennach, 2008. "Instrumental Variable Treatment of Nonclassical Measurement Error Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(1), pages 195-216, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jhu:papers:583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (None)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.