The Impact of Growth, Labour Cost and Working Time on Employment: Lessons from the French Experience
To account for employment evolutions at the macro-economic level, we propose a modelling where employment is explained by added value, working time and real labour cost. Estimations using quarterly French macro-economic data are carried out in a multivariate framework for three sets of sectors. We get a relationship in which employment rises with growth and decreases when labour cost or working time rises in industrial sectors as well as in non-industrial ones. This model then permits to measure retrospectively the contributions of each of the variables to employment inflections since the mid-eighties.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Publication status:||published in: Labour, 2005, 19 (3), 595-620|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jobert, T., 1992. "Test de recine unitaire : une strategie et sa mise en oeuvre," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.44, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-472, August.
- Rault, Christophe, 2000.
"Non-causality in VAR-ECM models with purely exogenous long-run paths,"
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 7-15, January.
- Rault, Christophe, 2000. "Non-causality in VAR-ECM models with purely exogeneous long-run paths," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 121-129, May.
- Rault, C., 1999. "Non-Causality in VAR-ECM Models with Purely Exogeneous Long-Run Paths," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 1999.44, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Jean-Pierre Laffargue & Yannick L'Horty, 1997. "Emploi d'équilibre et formation des salaires : une étude sectorielle," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 127(1), pages 117-135.
- Schmidt, Peter & Phillips, C B Peter, 1992. "LM Tests for a Unit Root in the Presence of Deterministic Trends," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 257-287, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp871. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.