The Effects of Japanese Monetary Policy Shocks on Exchange Rates: A Structural Vector Error Correction Model Approach
This paper investigates the effects of shocks to Japanese monetary policy on exchange rates and other macroeconomic variables, using structural vector error correction model methods with long-run restrictions. Long-run restrictions are attractive because they are more directly related to economic models than typical recursive short-run restrictions that some variables are not affected contemporaneously by shocks to other variables. In contrast with our earlier study of U.S. monetary policy with long-run restrictions in which the empirical results were more consistent with the standard exchange rate model than those with short-run restrictions, our results for Japanese monetary policy with long-run restrictions are less consistent with the model than those with short-run restrictions.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1-1 Nihonbashi, Hongoku-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103|
Web page: http://www.imes.boj.or.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Ogaki, Masao & Park, Joon Y., 1997.
"A cointegration approach to estimating preference parameters,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 107-134.
- Ogaki, M. & Park, Y.Y., 1989. "A Cointegration Approach To Estimating Preference Parameters," RCER Working Papers 209, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Kasa, Ken & Popper, Helen, 1997.
"Monetary Policy in Japan: A Structural VAR Analysis,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 275-295, September.
- Kenneth Kasa & Helen Popper, 1995. "Monetary policy in Japan: a structural VAR analysis," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 95-12, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Martin Eichenbaum & Charles L. Evans, 1995. "Some Empirical Evidence on the Effects of Shocks to Monetary Policy on Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(4), pages 975-1009.
- Osterwald-Lenum, Michael, 1992. "A Note with Quantiles of the Asymptotic Distribution of the Maximum Likelihood Cointegration Rank Test Statistics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 461-72, August.
- Shioji, Etsuro, 2000.
"Identifying Monetary Policy Shocks in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 22-42, March.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1989. "A Traditional Interpretation of Macroeconomic Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1146-64, December.
- Bernanke, Ben S., 1986.
"Alternative explanations of the money-income correlation,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 49-99, January.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1986. "Alternative Explanations of the Money-Income Correlation," NBER Working Papers 1842, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert G. King & Charles I. Plosser & James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"Stochastic trends and economic fluctuations,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Fisher, L. & Fackler, P. & Orden, D., 1992.
"Long-Run Identifying Restrictions for an Error-Correction Model of New Zealand Money, Prices and Output,"
92-27, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Fisher, Lance A. & Fackler, Paul L. & Orden, David, 1995. "Long-run identifying restrictions for an error-correction model of New Zealand money, prices and output," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 127-147, February.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, May.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ime:imemes:v:21:y:2003:i:1:p:1-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kinken)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.