Labor Market Transparency
The labor market differs from other markets in many respects. Most important is that those who supply labor also have to deliver it in person. It means firstly that the work environment and organization of work are important for those who deliver labor, since they are in the work place. Secondly, the result of a person's work varies with the price of labor (remuneration) and how the work is organized. Thirdly, the definition of work or a job for an employed person is not fixed but dependent on the person. The paper firstly deals with economic models of labor supply, labor demand, labor remuneration and labor market information. The subsequent sections discuss complications regarding labor market transparency in the context of international migration and public policy and policy implications regarding labor market transparency. A final section concludes.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Publication status:||published in: Jens Forssbaeck and Lars Oxelheim (eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Economic and Institutional Transparency, New York: Oxford University Press, 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susan N. Houseman & Arne L. Kalleberg & George A. Erickcek, .
"The Role of Temporary Agency Employment in Tight Labor Markets,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
snhakge2003, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Susan N. Houseman & Arne L. Kalleberg & George A. Erickcek, 2003. "The Role of Temporary Agency Employment in Tight Labor Markets," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 57(1), pages 105-127, October.
- Nick Drydakis & Minas Vlassis, 2010.
"Ethnic Discrimination In The Greek Labour Market: Occupational Access, Insurance Coverage And Wage Offers,"
University of Manchester, vol. 78(3), pages 201-218, 06.
- Minas Vlassis & Nick Drydakis, 2007. "Ethnic Discrimination in the Greek Labour Market: Occupational Access, Insurance Coverage, and Wage Offers," Working Papers 0715, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- David H. Autor, 2001.
"Wiring the Labor Market,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(1), pages 25-40, Winter.
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- George A. Akerlof, 1982. "Labor Contracts as Partial Gift Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(4), pages 543-569.
- Kenneth J. Arrow, 1962. "The Economic Implications of Learning by Doing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(3), pages 155-173.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1999. "Personnel Economics: Past Lessons and Future Directions," NBER Working Papers 6957, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Riach & Judith Rich, 1991.
"Testing for racial discrimination in the labour market,"
Natural Field Experiments
00327, The Field Experiments Website.
- Riach, Peter A & Rich, Judith, 1991. "Testing for Racial Discrimination in the Labour Market," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 239-56, September.
- Edward P. Lazear & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2007.
"Personnel Economics: The Economist's View of Human Resources,"
NBER Working Papers
13653, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward P. Lazear & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2007. "Personnel Economics: The Economist's View of Human Resources," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(4), pages 91-114, Fall.
- Autor, David H., 2013.
"The "task approach" to labor markets : an overview,"
Journal for Labour Market Research,
Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 46(3), pages 185-199.
- Smith, Adam, 1776. "An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number smith1776.
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2007.
"Evidence of ethnic discrimination in the Swedish labor market using experimental data,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 716-729, August.
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 6/09. "Evidence of Ethnic Discrimination in the Swedish Labor Market Using Experimental Data," IZA Discussion Papers 2281, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:iab:iabjlr:v:46:i:3:p:185-199 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-990, October.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7658. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.