Regulation, Trust, and Cronyism in Middle Eastern Societies: The Simple Economics of 'Wasta'
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Barnett, Andy & Yandle, Bruce & Naufal, George, 2013. "Regulation, trust, and cronyism in Middle Eastern societies: The simple economics of “wasta”," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 41-46.
References listed on IDEAS
- Becker, Gary S., 1971. "The Economics of Discrimination," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 2, number 9780226041162, March.
- Lipford, Jody W. & Yandle, Bruce, 2009. "The determinants of purposeful voluntarism," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 72-79, January.
- Ahmed Amin Mohamed & Hadia Hamdy, 2008. "The Stigma of Wasta: The Effect of Wasta on Perceived Competence and Morality," Working Papers 5, The German University in Cairo, Faculty of Management Technology.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:ris:utmsje:0208 is not listed on IDEAS
- Matthew Groh & David McKenzie & Nour Shammout & Tara Vishwanath, 2015. "Testing the importance of search frictions and matching through a randomized experiment in Jordan," IZA Journal of Labor Economics, Springer;Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit GmbH (IZA), vol. 4(1), pages 1-20, December.
- Bénédicte Coestier, 2015. "Jordan and the Middle-Income Growth Trap: Arab Springs and Institutional Changes," EconomiX Working Papers 2015-8, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Berger, Ron & Silbiger, Avi & Herstein, Ram & Barnes, Bradley R., 2015. "Analyzing business-to-business relationships in an Arab context," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 454-464.
More about this item
KeywordsMiddle East; Coase; Hayek; firm; wasta; cronyism; social capital;
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- K20 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - General
- N45 - Economic History - - Government, War, Law, International Relations, and Regulation - - - Asia including Middle East
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2013-03-02 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CDM-2013-03-02 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-EVO-2013-03-02 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-HPE-2013-03-02 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2013-03-02 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak). General contact details of provider: http://www.iza.org .