How Do the Unemployed Search for a Job? Evidence from the EU Labour Force Survey
Using harmonized micro data, this paper investigates the job search behaviour of the unemployed in Europe. The analysis focuses on the importance of individual and household characteristics in this context, as well as on cross-country differences in Europe. Our findings suggest that both individual and household characteristics play an important role, with the latter being more decisive for women. However, even when controlling for these factors, remarkable differences remain between countries, which are associated with institutional characteristics at the country level.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: IZA Journal of European Labor Studies, 2013, 2:22|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Osberg, Lars, 1993.
"Fishing in Different Pools: Job Search Strategies and Job-Finding Success in Canada in the Early 1980s,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 348-86, April.
- Osberg, L., 1989. "Fishing In Different Pools: Job Search Strategies And Job-Finding Success In Canada In The Early 1980s," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive 89-03, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Riddell, W. Craig & Song, Xueda, 2011. "Education, Job Search and Re-employment Outcomes among the Unemployed," IZA Discussion Papers 6134, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gregg, Paul & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1996. "How Effective Are State Employment Agencies? Jobcentre Use and Job Matching in Britain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 443-67, August.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. Berg & Jan C. Ours, 2005. "The Effect of Unemployment Insurance Sanctions on the Transition Rate from Unemployment to Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(505), pages 602-630, 07.
- Samuel Bentolila & Andrea Ichino, 2008. "Unemployment and consumption near and far away from the Mediterranean," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 255-280, April.
- McVicar, Duncan, 2008. "Job search monitoring intensity, unemployment exit and job entry: Quasi-experimental evidence from the UK," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1451-1468, December.
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 1998.
"Job Search Methods and Outcomes,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
98-41, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Denis Fougère & Jacqueline Pradel & Muriel Roger, 2005.
"Does Job-Search Assistance Affect Search Effort and Outcomes ? A Microeconometric Analysis of Public Versus Private Search Methods,"
2005-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Fougère, Denis & Pradel, Jacqueline & Roger, Muriel, 2005. "Does Job-Search Assistance Affect Search Effort and Outcomes? A Microeconometric Analysis of Public versus Private Search Methods," IZA Discussion Papers 1825, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Blau, David M & Robins, Philip K, 1990. "Job Search Outcomes for the Employed and Unemployed," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 637-55, June.
- Marco Caliendo & Ricarda Schmidl & Arne Uhlendorff, 2010.
"Social Networks, Job Search Methods and Reservation Wages: Evidence for Germany,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1055, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Ricarda Schmidl & Arne Uhlendorff, 2011. "Social networks, job search methods and reservation wages: evidence for Germany," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(7), pages 796-824, November.
- Caliendo, Marco & Schmidl, Ricarda & Uhlendorff, Arne, 2010. "Social Networks, Job Search Methods and Reservation Wages: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 5165, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Holzer, Harry J, 1988.
"Search Method Use by Unemployed Youth,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(1), pages 1-20, January.
- John M. Barron & Wesley Mellow, 1979. "Search Effort in the Labor Market," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 389-404.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Weber, Andrea & Mahringer, Helmut, 2002.
"Choice and Success of Job Search Methods,"
125, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 2008. "Minimum Wages," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262141027, June.
- Linda Datcher Loury, 2006. "Some Contacts Are More Equal than Others: Informal Networks, Job Tenure, and Wages," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 299-318, April.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Tatsiramos, Konstantinos, 2011. "Friendsâ€™ networks and job finding rates," ISER Working Paper Series 2011-21, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Danielle Venn, 2012. "Eligibility Criteria for Unemployment Benefits: Quantitative Indicators for OECD and EU Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 131, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6753. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.