How Do the Unemployed Search for a Job? Evidence from the EU Labour Force Survey
Using harmonized micro data, this paper investigates the job search behaviour of the unemployed in Europe. The analysis focuses on the importance of individual and household characteristics in this context, as well as on cross-country differences in Europe. Our findings suggest that both individual and household characteristics play an important role, with the latter being more decisive for women. However, even when controlling for these factors, remarkable differences remain between countries, which are associated with institutional characteristics at the country level.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: IZA Journal of European Labor Studies, 2013, 2:22|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Tatsiramos, Konstantinos, 2011. "Friendsâ€™ networks and job finding rates," ISER Working Paper Series 2011-21, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2010.
"Friends’ Networks and Job Finding Rates,"
DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia dell'Impresa e del Lavoro
ieil0059, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2010. "Friends' Networks and Job Finding Rates," CESifo Working Paper Series 3243, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Tatsiramos, Konstantinos, 2010. "Friends' Networks and Job Finding Rates," IZA Discussion Papers 5240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Konstantinos Tatsiramos, 2011. "Friends’ Networks and Job Finding Rates," Discussion Papers in Economics 11/40, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Marco Caliendo & Ricarda Schmidl & Arne Uhlendorff, 2011.
"Social networks, job search methods and reservation wages: evidence for Germany,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(7), pages 796-824, November.
- Caliendo, Marco & Schmidl, Ricarda & Uhlendorff, Arne, 2010. "Social Networks, Job Search Methods and Reservation Wages: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 5165, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Caliendo & Ricarda Schmidl & Arne Uhlendorff, 2010. "Social Networks, Job Search Methods and Reservation Wages: Evidence for Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1055, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Blau, David M & Robins, Philip K, 1990. "Job Search Outcomes for the Employed and Unemployed," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(3), pages 637-55, June.
- Andrea Weber & Helmut Mahringer, 2008.
"Choice and success of job search methods,"
Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 153-178, August.
- Weber, Andrea & Mahringer, Helmut, 2002. "Choice and Success of Job Search Methods," Economics Series 125, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Andrea Weber & Helmut Mahringer, 2014. "Choice and Success of Job Search Methods," Working Papers id:5877, eSocialSciences.
- Weber, Andrea & Mahringer, Helmut, 2006. "Choice and Success of Job Search Methods," IZA Discussion Papers 1939, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Harry J. Holzer, 1986.
"Search Method Use by Unemployed Youth,"
NBER Working Papers
1859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 2008. "Minimum Wages," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262141027, December.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000.
"Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 2001.
"Job Search Methods and Outcomes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
349, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Addison, John T. & Portugal, Pedro, 1998. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-41, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- John T. Addison & Pedro Portugal, 1998. "Job Search Methods and Outcomes," Working Papers w199808, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Osberg, L., 1989.
"Fishing In Different Pools: Job Search Strategies And Job-Finding Success In Canada In The Early 1980s,"
Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive
89-03, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Osberg, Lars, 1993. "Fishing in Different Pools: Job Search Strategies and Job-Finding Success in Canada in the Early 1980s," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 348-86, April.
- Riddell, W. Craig & Song, Xueda, 2011. "Education, Job Search and Re-employment Outcomes among the Unemployed," IZA Discussion Papers 6134, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. Berg & Jan C. Ours, 2005. "The Effect of Unemployment Insurance Sanctions on the Transition Rate from Unemployment to Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(505), pages 602-630, 07.
- Fougère, Denis & Pradel, Jacqueline & Roger, Muriel, 2005.
"Does Job-Search Assistance Affect Search Effort and Outcomes? A Microeconometric Analysis of Public versus Private Search Methods,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1825, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Denis Fougère & Jacqueline Pradel & Muriel Roger, 2005. "Does Job-Search Assistance Affect Search Effort and Outcomes ? A Microeconometric Analysis of Public Versus Private Search Methods," Working Papers 2005-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, December.
- Danielle Venn, 2012. "Eligibility Criteria for Unemployment Benefits: Quantitative Indicators for OECD and EU Countries," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 131, OECD Publishing.
- John M. Barron & Wesley Mellow, 1979. "Search Effort in the Labor Market," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 14(3), pages 389-404.
- McVicar, Duncan, 2008. "Job search monitoring intensity, unemployment exit and job entry: Quasi-experimental evidence from the UK," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1451-1468, December.
- Linda Datcher Loury, 2006. "Some Contacts Are More Equal than Others: Informal Networks, Job Tenure, and Wages," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 299-318, April.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- Samuel Bentolila & Andrea Ichino, 2008. "Unemployment and consumption near and far away from the Mediterranean," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 21(2), pages 255-280, April.
- Gregg, Paul & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1996. "How Effective Are State Employment Agencies? Jobcentre Use and Job Matching in Britain," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 58(3), pages 443-67, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6753. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.