An Expert Stakeholder's View on European Integration Challenges
The standard approach of analyzing gaps in social and labor market outcomes of different ethnic groups relies on analysis of statistical data about the affected groups. In this paper we go beyond this approach by measuring the views of expert stakeholders involved in minority integration. This enables us to better understand the risk of minority exclusion; the inner nature of discrimination, negative attitudes and internal barriers; as well as the ethnic minorities' desires and perceptions about which approaches are better than others in dealing with integration challenges. Main findings are that ethnic minorities do want to change their situation, especially in terms of employment, education, housing and attitudes towards them. Insufficient knowledge of the official language, insufficient education, discriminatory attitudes and behavior towards ethnic minorities as well as institutional barriers, such as citizenship or legal restrictions, seem to constitute the key barriers to their social and labor market integration.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Publication status:||published in: M. Kahanec and K. F. Zimmermann (eds.), Ethnic Diversity in European Labor Markets. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2011, 31-54|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jens Hainmueller & Michael J. Hiscox, 2005.
"Educated Preferences: Explaining Attitudes Toward Immigration in Europe,"
- Hainmueller, Jens & Hiscox, Michael J., 2007. "Educated Preferences: Explaining Attitudes Toward Immigration in Europe," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 61(02), pages 399-442, April.
- Constant, Amelie F. & Kahanec, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2009.
"Attitudes Towards Immigrants, Other Integration Barriers, and Their Veracity,"
EconStor Open Access Articles,
ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 5-14.
- Amelie F. Constant, 2009. "Attitudes towards immigrants, other integration barriers, and their veracity," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 30(1/2), pages 5-14, May.
- Amelie Constant & Martin Kahanec & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2008. "Attitudes Towards Immigrants, Other Integration Barriers, and Their Veracity," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 812, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Constant, Amelie F. & Kahanec, Martin & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 8/08. "Attitudes towards Immigrants, Other Integration Barriers, and Their Veracity," IZA Discussion Papers 3650, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francisco Rivera-Batiz & Myeong-Su Yun & Ira Gang, 2002.
"Economic Strain, Ethnic Concentration and Attitudes Towards Foreigners in the European Union,"
Departmental Working Papers
200214, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Gang, Ira N. & Rivera-Batiz, Francisco L. & Yun, Myeong-Su, 2002. "Economic Strain, Ethnic Concentration and Attitudes Towards Foreigners in the European Union," IZA Discussion Papers 578, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zimmermann, Klaus F. & Kahanec, Martin & Constant, Amelie F. & DeVoretz, Don J. & Gataullina, Liliya & Zaiceva, Anzelika, 2008. "Report No. 16: Study on the Social and Labour Market Integration of Ethnic Minorities," IZA Research Reports 16, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kahanec, Martin & Tosun, Mehmet S., 7/11. "Political Economy of Immigration in Germany: Attitudes and Citizenship Aspirations," IZA Discussion Papers 3140, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Lofstrom, Magnus & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 0/08. "Immigration Policy, Assimilation of Immigrants and Natives' Sentiments towards Immigrants: Evidence from 12 OECD-Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 187, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kevin H. O'Rourke & Richard Sinnott, 2004.
"The Determinants of Individual Attitudes Towards Immigration,"
Trinity Economics Papers
20042, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H. & Sinnott, Richard, 2006. "The determinants of individual attitudes towards immigration," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 838-861, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5398. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.