What Do Unions Do to Pension Performance?
This study argues that the promotion of union goals could have positive, negative, or neutral effects on risk adjusted return performance. Moreover, the union's ability and incentive to use pension assets to promote union goals will vary with the design of the pension. Using panel data on over 36,000 pension plans drawn from IRS Form 5500 filings, we empirically estimate the effects of unions on risk adjusted returns and find that the union effect on performance varies in ways that are consistent with our priors. In particular, unions have the largest negative effect among multi-employer defined contribution plans and the negative effect of unions can be eliminated by a switch to participant direction. Also, we find that unions improve performance for single employer defined contribution plans.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2004.
"What Do Unions Do for Economic Performance?,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 415-456, July.
- Lauren Cohen & Andrea Frazzini & Christopher Malloy, 2007.
"The Small World of Investing: Board Connections and Mutual Fund Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
13121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lauren Cohen & Andrea Frazzini & Christopher Malloy, 2008. "The Small World of Investing: Board Connections and Mutual Fund Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 116(5), pages 951-979, October.
- Ian Tonks, 2005.
"Performance Persistence of Pension-Fund Managers,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(5), pages 1917-1942, September.
- Ian Tonks, 2002. "Performance persistence of pension fund managers," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24942, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Tonks, Ian, 2002. "Performance Persistence of Pension Fund Managers," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 175, Royal Economic Society.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp5256. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.