Unintended Effects of National-based Active Labour Market Policies
Labour market policies settled at national level imply a “one-size-fits-all” labour market strategy. This strategy might not sufficiently take into account region-specific economic structures. In this paper we employ a panel factor-augmented vector autoregression (FAVAR) to evaluate whether active labour market programs (ALMPs) might asymmetrically affect labour markets at regional level. Given the significant difference between Italian regional economies we separately analyse two areas: the Centre-North and the South. Our results suggest that the timing and magnitude of the reaction of employment rate to ALMP shocks in the two areas is substantially different. Moreover, forecast error variance decomposition highlight that different variables seem to drive employment dynamics. In the South employment is mainly driven by its own shocks and by social and economic context variables. By contrast, in the northern regions, the employment dynamics is significantly explained by the dynamics of nominal and policy variables such as remunerations and ALMP.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Regional Studies, 2011, iFirst|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 2002. "Macroeconomic Forecasting Using Diffusion Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-62, April.
- Bent Hansen, 1970. "Excess Demand, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Wages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(1), pages 1-23.
- Kluve, Jochen, 2006. "The Effectiveness of European Active Labor Market Policy," RWI Discussion Papers 37, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI).
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000.
"Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001. "Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilles Mourre, 2006.
"Did the pattern of aggregate employment growth change in the euro area in the late 1990s?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(15), pages 1783-1807.
- Mourre, Gilles, 2004. "Did the pattern of aggregate employment growth change in the euro area in the late 1990s?," Working Paper Series 0358, European Central Bank.
- Gilles Mourre, 2006. "Did the pattern of aggregate employment growth change in the Euro area in the late 1990s?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14299, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Caliendo, Marco & Hujer, Reinhard & Thomsen, Stephan L., 2005.
"Identifying Effect Heterogeneity to Improve the Effiency of Job Creation Schemes in Germany?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
05-21, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Marco Caliendo & Reinhard Hujer & Stephan Thomsen, 2008. "Identifying effect heterogeneity to improve the efficiency of job creation schemes in Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(9), pages 1101-1122.
- Caliendo, Marco & Hujer, Reinhard & Thomsen, Stephan L., 2005. "Identifying effect heterogeneity to improve the efficiency of job creation schemes in Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 200508, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2007.
"Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy: A Macroeconometric Assessment,"
CEIS, vol. 21(1), pages 57-84, 03.
- Sergio Destefanis & Raquel Fonseca, 2005. "Matching Efficiency and Labour Market Reform in Italy. A Macroeconometric Assessment," CELPE Discussion Papers 93, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Adalgiso Amendola & Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Maria Rosaria Garofalo, 1997. "Labour Market and Decentralized Decision-making: An Institutional Approach," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(3), pages 497-516, November.
- Carlo Altavilla & Carlo Altavilla, 2004. "Evaluating Asimmetries in Active Labour Policies: The Case of Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 84, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Rene Fahr & Uwe Sunde, 2006.
"Regional dependencies in job creation: an efficiency analysis for Western Germany,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(10), pages 1193-1206.
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2005. "Regional Dependencies in Job Creation: An Efficiency Analysis for Western Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 1660, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fahr, René & Sunde, Uwe, 2006. "Regional dependencies in job creation: An efficiency analysis for Western Germany," Munich Reprints in Economics 20484, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, June.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Jean Boivin & Piotr Eliasz, 2005. "Measuring the Effects of Monetary Policy: A Factor-Augmented Vector Autoregressive (FAVAR) Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 120(1), pages 387-422.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo & Sergio Destefanis (ed.), 2006. "The European Labour Market. Regional Dimensions," AIEL Series in Labour Economics, AIEL - Associazione Italiana Economisti del Lavoro, number 01, April.
- Pekka Ilmakunnas & Hanna Pesola, 2003. "Regional Labour Market Matching Functions and Efficiency Analysis," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 17(3), pages 413-437, 09.
- Carlo Altavilla & Floro E. Caroleo, 2006.
"Evaluating the Dynamic Effects of Active Labour Policies in Italy,"
CEIS, vol. 20(2), pages 349-382, 06.
- Carlo Altavilla & Floro Ernesto Caroleo, 2006. "Evaluating the Dynamic Effects of Active Labour Policies in Italy," Discussion Papers 8_2006, D.E.S. (Department of Economic Studies), University of Naples "Parthenope", Italy.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Dale T. Mortensen & Christopher A. Pissarides, 1994. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in the Theory of Unemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 397-415.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M. & Schneider, Hilmar, 2006.
"Active labor market policy in Germany--Is there a successful policy strategy?,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 399-430, May.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M. & Schneider, Hilmar, 2002. "Active Labor Market Policy in Germany – Is There a Successful Policy Strategy?," IZA Discussion Papers 576, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Warren, Ronald S, Jr, 1991. "The Estimation of Frictional Unemployment: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 373-77, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp4045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.