Inequality of Learning in Industrialised Countries
Within-country differences in educational outcomes are compared for a large group of industrialised countries. We investigate where inequality is greatest, the association between inequality in learning and average levels of learning, the interpretation of measured levels of inequality, and differences in inequality at the top and bottom of the national distributions. Our analysis is based on test score data for 21 countries present in the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS), the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), and the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS). The use of three different surveys avoids reliance on a single source.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published in: Stephen P. Jenkins and John Micklewright (eds.), Inequality and Poverty Re-Examined, Oxford: OUP, 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre. MONEE project, 2001. "A Decade of Transition," Regional Monitoring Report remore01/15, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Kevin Denny, 2000.
"New Methods for comparing Literacy across Populations - Insights from the Measurement of Poverty,"
200007, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kevin Denny, 2002. "New methods for comparing literacy across populations: insights from the measurement of poverty," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(3), pages 481-493.
- Denny, K., 2000. "New methods for Comparing Literacy across Populations: Insights from the Measurement of Poverty," Papers 00/07, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Kevin Denny, 2000. "New methods for comparing literacy across populations: insights from the measurement of poverty," IFS Working Papers W00/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Micklewright, John & Schnepf, Sylke V., 2004. "Educational Achievement in English-Speaking Countries: Do Different Surveys Tell the Same Story?," IZA Discussion Papers 1186, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence Kahn, 2004.
"Do Cognitive Test Scores Explain Higher U.S. Wage Inequality?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1139, CESifo Group Munich.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2005. "Do Cognitive Test Scores Explain Higher U.S. Wage Inequality?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 184-193, February.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2001. "Do Cognitive Test Scores Explain Higher US Wage Inequality?," NBER Working Papers 8210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2003.
"Schooling resources, educational institutions and student performance: The international evidence,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19661, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ludger Woesmann, 2003. "Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions and Student Performance: the International Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(2), pages 117-170, 05.
- Ludger Wößmann, 2000. "Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions, and Student Performance: The International Evidence," Kiel Working Papers 983, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Thomas, Vinod & Wang, Yan & Fan, Xibo, 2001. "Measuring education inequality - Gini coefficients of education," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2525, The World Bank.
- John Micklewright & UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre, 2000.
"Education, Inequality and Transition,"
Innocenti Working Papers
inwopa00/3, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Pradhan, Menno & Sahn, David E. & Younger, Stephen D., 2003. "Decomposing world health inequality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 271-293, March.
- Giorgina Brown & John Micklewright & Sylke V. Schnepf & Robert Waldmann, 2007. "International surveys of educational achievement: how robust are the findings?," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 170(3), pages 623-646.
- Carneiro, Pedro & Heckman, James J., 2003.
"Human Capital Policy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
821, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bedard, Kelly & Ferrall, Christopher, 2003. "Wage and test score dispersion: some international evidence," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 31-43, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.