Cross-National Surveys of Learning Achievement: How Robust are the Findings?
International surveys of learning achievement and functional literacy are increasingly common. We consider two aspects of the robustness of their results. First, we compare results from four surveys: TIMSS, PISA, PIRLS and IALS. This contrasts with the standard approach which is to analyse a single survey with no regard as to whether it agrees or not with other sources. Second, we investigate whether results are sensitive to the choice of item response model used by survey organisers to aggregate respondents' answers. In both cases we focus on countries' average scores, the within-country differences in scores, and on the association between the two. There is mixed news to report.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2005|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A (Statistics in Society), 2007, 170 (3), 623-646|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin Denny, 2002.
"New methods for comparing literacy across populations: insights from the measurement of poverty,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 165(3), pages 481-493.
- Denny, K., 2000. "New methods for Comparing Literacy across Populations: Insights from the Measurement of Poverty," Papers 00/07, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Kevin Denny, 2000. "New methods for comparing literacy across populations : insights from the measurement of poverty," Open Access publications 10197/734, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kevin Denny, 2000. "New methods for comparing literacy across populations : insights from the measurement of poverty," Working Papers 200007, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Kevin Denny, 2000. "New methods for comparing literacy across populations: insights from the measurement of poverty," IFS Working Papers W00/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Ludger Woesmann, 2003. "Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions and Student Performance: the International Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(2), pages 117-170, 05.
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2000. "Schooling Resources, Educational Institutions, and Student Performance: The International Evidence," Kiel Working Papers 983, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2003. "Schooling resources, educational institutions and student performance: The international evidence," Munich Reprints in Economics 19661, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Micklewright, John & Schnepf, Sylke V., 2004. "Educational Achievement in English-Speaking Countries: Do Different Surveys Tell the Same Story?," IZA Discussion Papers 1186, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-1082, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)