Perspectives on the Early Retirement Decisions of Farming Couples
In the past decade, the European agricultural sector has undergone rapid structural change. Part of that change is manifested in extended early retirement plans. As pensions play a crucial role in determining the characteristics the change, it is important to establish the factors determining the exit from farming among elderly farmers. This study analyses the choice of pension scheme of farmers. The focus is on the effects of farm and off-farm incomes and various offered economic incentives on farmers’ retirement decisions. The results provide valuable information concerning evaluation of existing programmes and the design of future retirement systems and policies.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Renard, Didier & Molenberghs, Geert & Geys, Helena, 2004. "A pairwise likelihood approach to estimation in multilevel probit models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 649-667, January.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Bollman, Ray, 1999.
"Family farm dynamics in Canada and Israel: the case of farm exits,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(1), August.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Bollman, Ray, 1999. "Family farm dynamics in Canada and Israel: the case of farm exits," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 69-79, August.
- Stephan J. Goetz & David L. Debertin, 2001. "Why Farmers Quit: A County-Level Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1010-1023.
- Glauben, Thomas & Tietje, Hendrik & Weiss, Christoph R., 2002.
"Intergenerational Succession on Family Farms: Evidence from Survey Data,"
2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain
24918, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Glauben, Thomas & Tietje, Hendrik & Weiss, Christoph R., 2002. "Intergenerational Successionon Family Farms: Evidence from Survey Data," FE Working Papers 0202, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Kimhi, Ayal & Nachlieli, Noga, 1998.
"Intergenerational Succession In Israeli Family Farms,"
1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT
20811, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ayal Kimhi & Noga Nachlieli, 2001. "Intergenerational Succession on Israeli Family Farms," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 42-58.
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp1342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.