Sorties from the Fortress: The Current System of Anti-Immigration Policy in Germany
This paper gives a short synoptical overview of the most important elements of current anti-immigration policy in Germany. Based on the hypothesis that its primary aim is exclusion of new migrants, the measures taken within the framework of a groupwise nationally oriented but internationally cooperative approach are summarized. It is argued that German migration policy constitutes a complex system in which one has to take account of administrative and legal measures, as well as of applied instruments of foreign policy and development assistance. It should therefore not be characterized as a strictly defensive "Fortress Germany" approach any more.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan B. Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1996.
"A Statistical Analysis of Crime Against Foreigners in Unified Germany,"
NBER Working Papers
5485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan B. Krueger & Jörn-Steffen Pischke, 1997. "A Statistical Analysis of Crime against Foreigners in Unified Germany," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 32(1), pages 182-209.
- Alan B. Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1995. "A Statistical Analysis of Crime Against Foreigners in Unified Germany," Working papers 95-15, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1995. "Tackling the European Migration Problems," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 45-62, Spring.
- Bauer, Thomas & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1995.
"Integrating the East: The Labour Market Effects of Immigration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1235, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bauer, T. & Zimmermann, K., 1995. "Integrating the East: The Labor Market Effects of Immigration," Papers 5, American Institute for Contemporary German Studies-.
- Rotte, Ralph & Vogler, Michael & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1997.
"South-North Refugee Migration: Lessons for Development Cooperation,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 99-115, February.
- Rotte, Ralph & Vogler, Michael & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1997. "South-North Refugee Migration: Lessons for Development Cooperation," CEPR Discussion Papers 1578, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rotte, Ralph & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1998. "Das Entsendegesetz: Suendenfall oder Loesung des Arbeitslosigkeitsproblems?," IZA Discussion Papers 8, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Faini, Riccardo & Venturini, Alessandra, 1993. "Trade, aid and migrations: Some basic policy issues," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 435-442, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.