The Impact of Increased Cost-Sharing on Utilization of Low Value Services: Evidence from the State of Oregon
In this study we examine the impact of a value-based insurance design (V-BID) program implemented between 2010 and 2013 at a large public employer in the state of Oregon. The program substantially increased cost-sharing, specifically copayments and coinsurance, for several healthcare services believed to be of low value and overused (sleep studies, endoscopies, advanced imaging, and surgeries). Using a differences-in-differences design coupled with granular, administrative health insurance claims data, we estimate the change in low value healthcare service utilization among beneficiaries before and after program implementation relative to a comparison group of beneficiaries who were not exposed to the V-BID. Our findings suggest that the V-BID significantly reduced utilization of targeted services. These findings have important implications for both public and private healthcare policies as V-BID principles are rapidly proliferating in healthcare markets.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brot-Goldberg, Z.C. & Chandra, A. & Handel, B. & Kolstad, J.T., 2016.
"What Does a Deductible Do? The Impact of Cost-Sharing on Health Care Prices, Quantities and Spending Dynamics,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
16/15, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Zarek C. Brot-Goldberg & Amitabh Chandra & Benjamin R. Handel & Jonathan T. Kolstad, 2015. "What Does a Deductible Do? The Impact of Cost-Sharing on Health Care Prices, Quantities, and Spending Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 21632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brot-Goldberg, Zarek C. & Chandra, Amitabh & Handel, Benjamin R. & Kolstad, Jonathan T., 2015. "What Does a Deductible Do? The Impact of Cost-Sharing on Health Care Prices, Quantities, and Spending Dynamics," Working Paper Series 15-060, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Justin Wolfers, 2006.
"Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1802-1820, December.
- Justin Wolfers, 2003. "Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results," NBER Working Papers 10014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wolfers, Justin, 2003. "Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results," Research Papers 1819, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Amelia M. Haviland & Matthew D. Eisenberg & Ateev Mehrotra & Peter J. Huckfeldt & Neeraj Sood, 2015.
"Do “Consumer-Directed” Health Plans Bend the Cost Curve Over Time?,"
NBER Working Papers
21031, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Haviland, Amelia M. & Eisenberg, Matthew D. & Mehrotra, Ateev & Huckfeldt, Peter J. & Sood, Neeraj, 2016. "Do “Consumer-Directed” health plans bend the cost curve over time?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 33-51.
- Katherine Baicker & Dana Goldman, 2011. "Patient Cost-Sharing and Healthcare Spending Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 47-68, Spring.
- A. Colin Cameron & Douglas L. Miller, 2015. "A Practitionerâ€™s Guide to Cluster-Robust Inference," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 50(2), pages 317-372.
- Peter J. Huckfeldt & Amelia Haviland & Ateev Mehrotra & Zachary Wagner & Neeraj Sood, 2015. "Patient Responses to Incentives in Consumer-directed Health Plans: Evidence from Pharmaceuticals," NBER Working Papers 20927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ai, Chunrong & Norton, Edward C., 2003. "Interaction terms in logit and probit models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 123-129, July.
- Edward C. Norton & Hua Wang & Chunrong Ai, 2004. "Computing interaction effects and standard errors in logit and probit models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(2), pages 154-167, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp10477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.