Analysis of group performance with categorical data when agents are heterogeneous: The case of compulsory education in the OECD
This paper analyses the evaluation of the relative performance of a set of groups when their outcomes are defined in terms of categorical data and the groups’ members are heterogeneous. This type of problem has been dealt with in Herrero and Villar (2012) for the case of a homogenous population. Here we expand their model controlling for heterogeneity by means of inverse probability weighting techniques. We apply this extended model to the analysis of compulsory education in the OECD countries, using the data in the PISA. We evaluate the relative performance of the different countries out of the distribution of the students’ achievements across the different levels of competence, controlling by the students’ characteristics (explanatory variables regarding schooling and family environment). We find that differences in reading ability across OECD countries would lower by 35% if their endowment of students’ characteristics would be that for the OECD average.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calo-Blanco Aitor & Villar Notario Antonio, 2010. "Quality of Education and Equality of Opportunity in Spain: Lesson from Pisa," Working Papers 20104, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2007.
"Higher Education and Equality of Opportunity in Italy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3163, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2007. "Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy," CHILD Working Papers wp01_08, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Laura Serlenga & Vito Peragine, 2007. "Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy," Working Papers 79, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Richard K. Crump & V. Joseph Hotz & Guido W. Imbens & Oscar A. Mitnik, 2004.
"Dealing with Limited Overlap in Estimation of Average Treatment Effects,"
0716, University of Miami, Department of Economics, revised 12 Jun 2007.
- Richard K. Crump & V. Joseph Hotz & Guido W. Imbens & Oscar A. Mitnik, 2009. "Dealing with limited overlap in estimation of average treatment effects," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 96(1), pages 187-199.
- Hotz, V. Joseph & Crump, Richard K. & Mitnik, Oscar A. & Imbens, Guido, 2009. "Dealing with Limited Overlap in Estimation of Average Treatment Effects," Scholarly Articles 3007645, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Arnaud LEFRANC, Nicolas PISTOLESI, Alain TRANNOY, 2009.
"Equality of opportunity and luck: De nitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France,"
THEMA Working Papers
2009-01, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Lefranc, Arnaud & Pistolesi, Nicolas & Trannoy, Alain, 2009. "Equality of opportunity and luck: Definitions and testable conditions, with an application to income in France," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(11-12), pages 1189-1207, December.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2008.
"Inequality Of Opportunities Vs. Inequality Of Outcomes: Are Western Societies All Alike?,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 513-546, December.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Inequality of opportunities vs. inequality of outcomes: Are Western societies all alike?," Working Papers 54, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Carmen Herrero & Antonio Villar, 2012.
"On the comparison of group performance with categorical Data,"
12.03, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Antonio Villar Notario & Carmen Herrero Blanco, 2012. "On the comparison of group performance with categorical data," Working Papers. Serie AD 2012-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Daniele Checchi & Vito Peragine, 2010. "Inequality of opportunity in Italy," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 429-450, December.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2008.
"Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199215911, March.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Garcia-Fontes, Walter, 2009. "The quality of the Catalan and Spanish education systems: A perspective from PISA," IESE Research Papers D/810, IESE Business School.
- Busso, Matias & DiNardo, John & McCrary, Justin, 2009. "New Evidence on the Finite Sample Properties of Propensity Score Matching and Reweighting Estimators," IZA Discussion Papers 3998, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2013-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.