On the comparison of group performance with categorical Data
This paper provides a criterion to evaluate the overall performance of a given number of groups whose members can be of different types, out of the analysis of their relative frequencies. Assuming that types can be ordered from best to worse, the starting point is that of dominance relations in pair-wise comparisons. We say that group i dominates group j when the expected type of a member of i is higher than the expected type of a member of j. To extend this principle to multi-group comparisons we introduce the notion of relative advantage of a group and show that there is a unique evaluation function that ranks consistently all groups in terms of this criterion. This function associates, to each evaluation problem, the (unique) dominant eigenvector of a matrix whose entries describe the dominance relations between groups in pairwise comparisons. An application to education illustrates the working of this model.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Carretera de Utrera km.1, 41013 Sevilla|
Phone: + 34 954 34 8913
Fax: + 34 954 34 9339
Web page: http://www.upo.es/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Serrano, 2004.
"The Measurement of Intellectual Influence: the Views of a Sceptic,"
2004-02, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Roberto Serrano, 2004. "The Measurement of Intellectual Influence: the Views of a Sceptic," Economics Working Papers 0040, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2010.
"Occupational segregation measures: A role for status,"
167, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Coral del Río & Olga Alonso-Villar, 2011. "Occupational Segregation Measures: A Role for Status," Working Papers 1103, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Gaston Yalonetzky, 2010. "A Dissimilarity Index of Multidimensional Inequality of Opportunity (Revised and Updated)," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp0039, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:1:y:2004:i:3:p:1-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Laband, David N & Piette, Michael J, 1994. "The Relative Impacts of Economics Journals: 1970-1990," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(2), pages 640-66, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pab:wpaper:12.03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publicación Digital - UPO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.