Fair and unfair income inequalities in Europe
This paper analyses the extent of income inequality and opportunity inequality in 25 European countries. The present work contributes to understanding the origin of standard income inequality, helping to identify potential institutional setups that are associated to opportunity inequality. We distinguish between ex-ante and ex-post opportunity inequality. We find that ex-ante equality of opportunity exhibits positive correlation with public expenditure in education, whereas ex-post equality of opportunity is also positively associated to union presence and to fiscal redistribution.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ecineq.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juan D. Moreno-Ternero, 2007. "On the design of equal-opportunity policies," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 31(3), pages 351-374, September.
- Kranich, Laurence, 1996.
"Equitable Opportunities: An Axiomatic Approach,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 131-147, October.
- Fleurbaey, Marc, 2012.
"Fairness, Responsibility, and Welfare,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199653591, March.
- James Heckman & Pedro Carneiro & Flavio Cunha, 2004.
"The Technology of Skill Formation,"
2004 Meeting Papers
681, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2005.
"Preferences for redistribution in the land of opportunities,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(5-6), pages 897-931, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2001. "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1936, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Alesina, Alberto F & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2002. "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," CEPR Discussion Papers 3155, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, . "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," Working Papers 178, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2001. "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," NBER Working Papers 8267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fran?s Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Marta Menendez, 2003.
"Inequality of outcomes and inequality of opportunities in Brazil,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3174, The World Bank.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Marta Menendez, 2003. "Inequality of Outcomes and Inequality of Opportunities in Brasil," DELTA Working Papers 2003-24, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2003. "Inequality of Outcomes and Inequality of Opportunities in Brazil," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2003-630, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Marta Menendez, 2003. "Inequality of outcomes and inequality of opportunities in Brazil," Textos para discussão 478, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Laura Serlenga & Vito Peragine, 2007.
"Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy,"
79, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Vito Peragine & Laura Serlenga, 2007. "Higher education and equality of opportunity in Italy," CHILD Working Papers wp01_08, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Peragine, Vito & Serlenga, Laura, 2007. "Higher Education and Equality of Opportunity in Italy," IZA Discussion Papers 3163, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Francois Bourguignon & Francisco H.B. Ferreira & Marta Menéndez, 2005.
"Inequality of Opportunity in Brazil,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
133, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Villar Antonio, 2005. "On the Welfare Evaluation of Income and Opportunity," The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-21, June.
- Frank A. Cowell & Maria-Pia Victoria-Feser, 2002. "Welfare Rankings in the Presence of Contaminated Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1221-1233, May.
- Nicolas Pistolesi, 2009. "Inequality of opportunity in the land of opportunities, 1968–2001," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(4), pages 411-433, December.
- Cowell, Frank A & Victoria-Feser, Maria-Pia, 1996. "Robustness Properties of Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 77-101, January.
- La Ferrara, Eliana & Alesina, Alberto, 2005. "Preferences for Redistribution in the Land of Opportunities," Scholarly Articles 4552533, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bourguignon, Francois & Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Walton, Michael, 2006.
"Equity, Efficient and Inequality Traps: A Research Agenda,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-025, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- François Bourguignon & Francisco Ferreira & Michael Walton, 2007. "Equity, efficiency and inequality traps: A research agenda," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 235-256, August.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2007. "Extreme incomes and the estimation of poverty and inequality indicators from EU-SILC," IRISS Working Paper Series 2007-01, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Cowell, Frank A. & Victoria-Feser, Maria-Pia, 1996. "Poverty measurement with contaminated data: A robust approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1761-1771, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inq:inqwps:ecineq2010-174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Ana Lugo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.