A Neoclassical Theory Of Wage Arrears In Transition Economies
The paper proposes a theory of the wage arrears phenomenon in transition economies. We build on the standard one-sector neoclassical growth model. The neoclassical firms in transition make losses and use wage arrears as the survival strategy. At the agents' level, the randomness in the timing and extent of wage payments act as idiosyncratic shocks to earnings. We calibrate the model to reproduce evidence from the Ukrainian data and assess its quantitative implications. We find that wage arrears imply substantial social costs such as the consumption loss of 8% - 16% and the welfare loss from idiosyncratic uncertainty, equivalent to an additional consumption loss of 1% - 6%.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Layard & Ansgar Richter, 1995.
"How Much Unemployment is Needed for Restructuring?: The Russian Experience,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0238, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Layard & Andrea Richter, 1995. "How much unemployment is needed for restructing: the Russian experience," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 3(1), pages 39-58, 03.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1994. "Uninsured Idiosyncratic Risk and Aggregate Saving," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(3), pages 659-684.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., .
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic," RCER Working Papers 399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- G. Alfandari & M.E. Schaffer, 1996. ""Arrears" in the Russian Enterprise Sector," CERT Discussion Papers 9608, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Earle, John S. & Peter, Klara Sabirianova, 2000. "Equilibrium Wage Arrears: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis of Institutional Lock-In," IZA Discussion Papers 196, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Huggett, Mark, 1993. "The risk-free rate in heterogeneous-agent incomplete-insurance economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(5-6), pages 953-969.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan & Acquisti, Alessandro, 1999. "Grime and Punishment: Insecurity and Wage Arrears in the Russian Federation," IZA Discussion Papers 65, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Huggett, Mark, 1997. "The one-sector growth model with idiosyncratic shocks: Steady states and dynamics," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 385-403, August.
- John S. Earle & Klara Z. Sabirianova, 2002.
"How Late to Pay? Understanding Wage Arrears in Russia,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(3), pages 661-707, July.
- John S. Earle & Klara Sabirianova Peter, . "How Late to Pay? Understanding Wage Arrears in Russia," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles jse20023, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- John S. Earle & Klara Z. Sabirianova, 2002. "How Late to Pay? Understanding Wage Arrears in Russia," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles 02-77, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Jose-Victor Rios-Rull, 1997. "Computation of equilibria in heterogeneous agent models," Staff Report 231, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2002.
"Wage Arrears and the Distribution of Earnings in Russia,"
CERT Discussion Papers
0202, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 2001. "Wage Arrears and the Distribution of Earnings in Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 410, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hartmut Lehmann & Jonathan Wadsworth, 2001. "Wage Arrears and the Distribution of Earnings in Russia," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 421, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Christopher Gerry & Byung-Yeon Kim & Carmen A Li, 2002.
"The Gender Wage Gap and Wage Arrears in Russia: Evidence from the RLMS,"
24 Key Words: RLMS, gende, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- Christopher J. Gerry & Byung-Yeon Kim & Carmen A Li, 2004. "The gender wage gap and wage arrears in Russia: Evidence from the RLMS," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 267-288, 06.
- Christopher J. Gerry & Byung-Yeon Kim & Carmen A. Li, 2001. "The Gender Wage Gap and Wage Arrears in Russia: Evidence from the RLMS," Economics Discussion Papers 533, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2003-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.