Non-Tariff Measures with Market Imperfections: Trade and Welfare Implications
This book presents new developments in non tariff measure (NTM) policy analysis by leading authors in the field, from conceptual developments and methodology improvements, to a series of innovative cases studies. A novel policy research agenda underlies the book recognizing that some NTMs are required to sustain market exchange. The investigations address the welfare and trade impacts of standard-like NTMs in presence of market imperfections, their measurements, potential protectionism, and implications for North-South trade and income prospects in developing countries, including for small holders. Several analyses address the potential trade-cost effects of these NTMs through their lack of transparency, their heterogeneity across countries, and constraints to harmonize them and gains from harmonization. Certification is also analyzed in two chapters, one looking at private standards and heterogeneous firms in a developing country context, and the other exploring certification and cooperation in certification for a panel of countries. Several analyses investigate trade within OECD countries, including looking at export decisions by heterogeneous firms and the effect of harmonization of standards on firm productivity, and exploring the export-enhancing effect of a country's own stringency in standards. Practical policy implications are drawn. TOC and summary findings are presented here.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joachim Wagner, 2005.
"Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005. "Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data," HWWA Discussion Papers 319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data," International Trade 0504005, EconWPA.
- Stéphan Marette & John Beghin, 2010. "Are Standards Always Protectionist?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 179-192, 02.
- StÃ©phan Marette & John C. Beghin, 2007. "Are Standards Always Protectionist?," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 07-wp450, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Stephan Marette & John Beghin, 2010. "Are standards always protectionist?," Post-Print hal-01172977, HAL.
- StÃ©phan Marette & John C. Beghin, 2007. "Are Standards Always Protectionist?," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 07-wp450, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Marette, Stephan & Beghin, John C., 2010. "Are Standards Always Protectionist?," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12826, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Fischer, Ronald & Serra, Pablo, 2000. "Standards and protection," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 377-400, December.
- Ronald Fischer & Pablo Serra, 1998. "Standards and Protection," Documentos de Trabajo 45, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Drogué, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2012. "Pesticide residues and trade, the apple of discord?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 641-649.
- Drogue, Sophie & DeMaria, Federica, 2011. "Pesticides Residues and Trade: the Apple of Discord?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114445, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Beghin, John C. & David Orden, 2012. "Ntms, Agricultural and Food Trade, and Competitiveness. A Special Issue of The World Economy," Staff General Research Papers Archive 34934, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Katia Berti & Rod Falvey, "undated". "Does Trade Weaken product Quality Standards?," Discussion Papers 11/24, University of Nottingham, GEP. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)